Respected Contributor

Over the past 10 days, I've receive 6 different phishing e-mails with embedded trojans.  They appeared to be from Comcast and PNC bank with a link asking me to update or check my account information.  I forwarded all of them to the abuse address for both companies.  I also updated and ran several anti-malware/anti-virus scans and the trojans were removed.  I use Bitdefender and Malwarebytes for Mac.  While I don't think the malware could infect my iMac/Macbook, I still didn't want them on my computers. 

People who say you don't need protection on your Apple computers, you might want to rethink that.  I'm sure it won't be long before the scammers write a virus, trojans or other malware that will infect our computers. 

Respected Contributor

I received one from the school district I work for asking me to update my login.  I waited a few days to see if this was a legit email and someone from admin told us it was in error and to not create a new account.  

Esteemed Contributor

I received an email with a zip file attachment I just deleted it.

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

I received an email with a zip file attachment I just deleted it.

I deleted the e-mails I received after forwarding them to the abuse/scam department and the anti-virus/malware programs still found the trojan. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

Over the past 10 days, I've receive 6 different phishing e-mails with embedded trojans.  They appeared to be from Comcast and PNC bank with a link asking me to update or check my account information.  I forwarded all of them to the abuse address for both companies.  I also updated and ran several anti-malware/anti-virus scans and the trojans were removed.  I use Bitdefender and Malwarebytes for Mac.  While I don't think the malware could infect my iMac/Macbook, I still didn't want them on my computers. 

People who say you don't need protection on your Apple computers, you might want to rethink that.  I'm sure it won't be long before the scammers write a virus, trojans or other malware that will infect our computers. 

@glb613

I don't anyone should assume their device is immune to destructive viruses and malware.   That's just asking for trouble.  

I must get at least 4 or 5 fake emails for Paypal every single week and always forward them to the real Paypal.  They always send an acknowledgement thanking me for doing so .... with the statitistic that about 90% of emails sent worldwide are phishing attempts!   Wow!    Clearly, this is a very big business!

Trusted Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear that, @glb613Smiley Sad

There seems to be so much of this kind of stuff happening.

I have been getting more spam in my e-mail account, after just signing up for what you would think would be harmless websites, you know?

I have changed my password and that helps, but you still get spam. My e-mail is great at sending it to the spam folder, but it still happens. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

It's better to be safe than sorry.  There's a new theoretical hack (just done in the labs so far) that they're calling Thunderstrike that's supposedly undetectable.and irreversible that affects Apple devices. Even reinstalling the OS won't remove this hack. You just can't be too careful these days.

I'm getting more and more of the opinion that programmers have made the operating systems too complicated and that's opened the doors to all kinds of interesting exploits. Modern operating systems are now vast (tens of millions of lines of code) and one weakness in all of those lines of codes is all it takes to exploit a vulnerability. 

I think Google may be onto something with their Chrome OS that's simpler, smaller, and safer. A simpler, smaller OS lets a computer run like lightning. Computer hardware is now vastly faster than it was twenty years ago, but we don't really see that because the modern operating systems are now so much larger that they're eating up the speed we gained. Put a Windows 95 sized OS onto a modern computer and it would run like lightning. Windows 95 did pretty much everything later OS's did, but did it using much, much less code. 

The Chromebooks and Chromeboxes are lightning fast using CPU's and hardware that's not especially state of the art. I think that might be the way of the future. The old KISS philosophy of "keep it simple stupid."

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!