Esteemed Contributor

Re: October Surprise Coming to Windows 7 & 8

@tedEbear wrote:

@Marp----I am on IE.  I have tried all the different browsers and IE seems to be the only one that doesn't cause a lot of problems. 

I have uninstalled both flash and java, then gone to download them they both say they are the computer, running and up to date.

@tedEbear, what version of IE are you using?  Do you just have Flash Player or do you also have Shockwave Flash?   Are you sure you have Javascript enabled in IE?  (look in tools, internet options, security, custom settings -  look under scripting to see if it is enabled)

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

@Marp----I am on IE.  I have tried all the different browsers and IE seems to be the only one that doesn't cause a lot of problems. 

I have uninstalled both flash and java, then gone to download them they both say they are the computer, running and up to date.

Is there where you went to download Flash:    https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Java:  https://java.com/en/download/

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613 wrote:

@tedEbear wrote:

Is there where you went to download Flash:    https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

I am not sure what flavor of Windows you are usiing.

I do not use Java with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Here is info about Windows 10 and Java.

http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/do-i-need-java.2117/

Flashplayer in Windows 8.1 and 10 installs it's self during a Window update session.

Have you used CCleaner to tell what programs are installed on your computer? The tools section.

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@tedEbear wrote:

I am not sure what flavor of Windows you are usiing.

I do not use Java with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Here is info about Windows 10 and Java.

http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/do-i-need-java.2117/

Flashplayer in Windows 8.1 and 10 installs it's self during a Window update session.

Have you used CCleaner to tell what programs are installed on your computer? The tools section.

I believe the poster is having problems running games since updating to a new version of Windows.  It's been my experience when getting the message, the game isn't compatible with the new operating system.  If it's an online game, the site may need both of these programs to run properly. 

Honored Contributor

I can only speak to my situation, but I don't do online games.  The ones I like to keep are the old Win7 and prior Microsoft games.    Since Win8 they are not on there so you have to find a work-around install.

Then, when Win10 came along, that install was still workable until they had their 'Anniversary' update and it became obsolete.

Fortunately, some tech guru came up with a new install that would work on Win10  after that update, so all is well again.

I imagine you are especially glad to be with Apple now!  Smiley Happy   Windows10 is all about the license owner having virtually no control.   I don't know why they are taking that direction, but I do predict that it will cause them to lose more business to Apple.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I can only speak to my situation, but I don't do online games.  The ones I like to keep are the old Win7 and prior Microsoft games.    Since Win8 they are not on there so you have to find a work-around install.

Then, when Win10 came along, that install was still workable until they had their 'Anniversary' update and it became obsolete.

Fortunately, some tech guru came up with a new install that would work on Win10  after that update, so all is well again.

I imagine you are especially glad to be with Apple now!  Smiley Happy   Windows10 is all about the license owner having virtually no control.   I don't know why they are taking that direction, but I do predict that it will cause them to lose more business to Apple.

The only control you get with Apple is whether to install or not.  There is no selective updates.  There is far less control with the Apple operating system.  It is one of the major problems I had while learning and adjusting to the new operating system.  I was use to doing a lot of things, mainly how I organized my files and folders, and wasn't able to do it the way I had for decades. 

Am I glad to be away from Windows?  Yes but, I never found Windows to be as irritating as some.  When I did have a problem, I was able to fix it with the help of the internet. What I really don't miss is all of the security scans and programs required to keep your stuff safe.  

Honored Contributor

A collective THANK YOU to all of our forum computer gurus!

I've learned so much from ALL OF YOU!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

The article and the reaction it's receiving isn't as much about what updates you select to install, @AlexisRose , but the fact that the updates themselves will be different in their content and your ability to know what that is.

The monthly rollups will now be made up of several patches which will no longer be identified to the user.   Prior, the patches were all identified separately giving the user greater control over what is installed on a given machine. 

The importance of this varies from user to user, of course; but we all need to be aware.  HTH'sWoman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

Hi Gokat!  Long time no see.     

I sure don't get why they are so bent on being so forceful and mysterious about stuff.

Heck, if they leave people to their own devices they will just sell more computers because of the ones who don't educate themselves and mess things up to the extent that they have to replace the computer.  Smiley Wink

For me, it's just that I still think if I purchase this particular license I should be able to have choices up to the point of doing anything to damage the operating system.   I cannot help but wonder why they would think that sentiment is so unreasonable.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp@chickenbutt@glb613 et al thank you for this post.  I am a Windows user that still hasn't gone to Windows 10.  I am at the stage now where I am thinking about replacing iPad and am also thinking about moving to an apple computer after reading all this stuff.  

I was in the Apple Store yesterday to look at tablets.  Next time I go, I am going to be discussing a tablet and computer purchase.  That will make all of my devices the same brand.  I have the iPhone 6+ (which I love).