Honored Contributor

Re: New ipads available on 03/24 to order

[ Edited ]

Here's some info:

"Apple quietly announced via press release this morning that it would not be replacing any of its top-end iPads, just its two-year-old midrange iPad Air 2.

The company's new mainstream 9.7-inch tablet, called simply "iPad," includes an Apple A9 SoC (not an A9X), but its most exciting feature is its starting price of $329, $70 less than the previous starting price of the Air 2.

The tablet will be available to order starting March 24 and will begin shipping next week.

The new tablet takes a step back from the design used for the Air 2 and the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. At 1.03 pounds (469g) and 0.29-inches (7.5mm) thick, the tablet is actually almost identical in size to the original iPad Air, not the Air 2. Hopefully this doesn't mean that the screen or any other aspect of the tablet is also taking a step backward, but we'll have to wait to get one in our hands to know for sure.

Update:

Looking at the comparison page for all current iPad models, it looks like the new iPad does in fact take a couple of steps back from the iPad Air 2.

The LCD is no longer laminated to the front glass, as it is in all iPad Pros, the Air 2, and the Mini 4.  

Some repair advocates will like this, but the air gap between the glass and screen can noticeably affect contrast and color.

The tablet also lacks the anti-glare coating that the Air 2, the MIni 4, and both iPad Pros have.

This tablet is definitely an offshoot of the original iPad Air design, while the 9.7-inch iPad Pro has more in common with the AIr 2.

The tablet's other key specs include the same 9.7-inch 2048×1536 screen as previous iPads of this size, an 8MP rear camera with no flash, TouchID, and a headphone jack. 32GB and 128GB capacities are available in both Wi-Fi and cellular configurations; 32GB models cost $329 for Wi-Fi and $459 for cellular, while 128GB models run $429 and $559 respectively. Space grey, silver, and gold colors are all offered, but no rose gold.

Apple doesn't talk about RAM in these announcements, but the new iPad presumably has the same 2GB as the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, the Air 2, and the iPad Mini 4 to support the multitasking features introduced in iOS 9.

The tablet doesn't include a True Tone display, DCI-P3 color gamut support, Apple Pencil support, Smart Keyboard support, or any of the other stuff you get when you step up to the now year-old 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

That tablet and the one-and-a-half-year-old 12.9-inch version are still being sold for all the same prices and capacities as before.

The iPad Mini 4 doesn't get a hardware bump, but buyers now get 128GB of storage space for the tablet's starting price of $399 ($529 for the LTE version). Everything else about it is unchanged.

The rumor mill has been indicating for a while now that Apple had a product event planned for late March or early April; the company doesn't always have a spring event, but these events happen often enough to fill the gap between the blowouts in September and October and the new software announcements at WWDC in June.

This morning's low-key announcement-via-press-release could indicate that Apple had hoped to have a major product to show off that ended up not being ready in time—or that the reports of a major event were overblown or false in the first place."

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/03/apples-new-329-9-7-inch-ipad-replaces-air-2-has-no-pro-feature...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also, about the iPhone:

"In addition to a new midrange iPad, Apple also announced a handful of minor updates for the iPhone via press release this morning.

Apple is also releasing a new Product Red version of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus—like the name implies, it has a bright red matte finish with blended antenna lines and a silver Apple logo on the back.

It contrasts strikingly with the other iPhone colors Apple has offered in the past, but otherwise it doesn't differ from current iPhone 7 models.

It will be available in 128GB and 256GB capacities, it starts at $749, and it will be available beginning on March 24.

As with other Product Red products, for each of these red iPhones that sells, Apple will make a small donation to the Global Fund to fight HIV/AIDS. The company doesn't disclose the exact size of these donations, but it says it has donated $130 million via Product Red sales since 2006.

The iPhone SE is also getting a minor update. The old 16GB and 64GB capacities are being replaced by 32GB and 128GB versions for $399 and $499.

The latter phone represents a slight price increase from before—in September, Apple lowered the price of the old 64GB SE from $499 to $449. The new iPhone SE models are otherwise unchanged from the originals and also begin shipping March 24."

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/03/minor-iphone-bump-turns-the-7-and-7-plus-red-and-gives-iphone-...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo, thanks for the update.  I am due for a new ipad but now unsure what to get.  Any thoughts?  LM 

Honored Contributor

Two REALLY DISAPPOINTED people in this family!

I am using an iPad Air, and I am planning to upgrade to an iPad Pro.

The current Pros are not just different in size. The 12" Pro has a less desirable camera than the current Smaller Pro.

But I also want to be able to scan standard sized sheet music, so the 12" Pro is better for THAT.

THEN, if the pro goes down in price, I could afford it, the pencil and the qwerty keyboard case, then go for the upcoming iPhone 8.

I don't think Apple wins by this current merchandising, but I hope those who can afford the latest, lower priced iPad enjoy it

Esteemed Contributor

@violann, trying to absorb the details of this new release also.  I am disappointed like you.  I am also thinking smaller pro.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apple's "top of the line" is the current Pro 9.7" right now. It has some few better specs than even the 12" Pro.

Later this year, when they'll presumably release version 2 of the Pros, like Sept-Oct, if they come out with a blockbuster, game-changing new tech or feature I might consider it, but there isn't that much I can even imagine they would upgrade that I'd care tremendously about. I'm happy I got my Pro 9.7" as it's "the" best iPad until late this year, if what they come up with then is appreciably better.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Lilysmom wrote:

@dooBdoo, thanks for the update.  I am due for a new ipad but now unsure what to get.  Any thoughts?  LM 

@Lilysmom,  You're welcome!  My iPad 3 has been in daily use since I purchased it almost 5 years ago...   what a workhorse, and it's really paid for itself!   Now, it's no longer eligible for iOS updates and I'm seeing a couple of glitches -- but they're very minor, so I'm not going to purchase yet.    Last time I made the purchase during our state's tax-free weekend, so I might do that again.   Also, I buy from the Apple website with a "Discover Deals" (Discover Card) cashback bonus, so the ticket price is a little less imposing.    Deciding which one to buy...  I'd suggest taking time to look at the features, look at the new articles comparing devices (internet searches for something like "which iPad should I buy" or "iPad comparisons") and think about how you want to use it.    Also, the refurbished devices available from Apple can be a good choice.   So many variables, so it's not easy to decide!😊

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo @Moonchilde thanks!  LM

Honored Contributor

DEFINITELY Google a COMPARISONS LIST, as @dooBdoo suggests. Just type "Compare......" and list the models you want to look at, and the individual characteristics of each device will pop up right next to each other.

I'm only posting this detailed suggestion because it took me too long to figure out doing it myself, and it's been both a big help and a big money saver for me.

Hoping everyone enjoys the iPad he or she chooses! 

Honored Contributor

thanks for posting this,

I will take a look and see what's being offered.