Occasional Contributor

Netflix-how does it work, is it portable question

Hi, I'm thinking of getting Netflix. If I get a subscription to it can I watch it on a TV in my house, then go to my mom's house let's say and watch it? mom and I live in 2 different states and I was hoping that when I visit we could watch it together. I just want to watch it on the TV, I'm assuming I don't have to buy ROKU or anything different. But then if I bought a roku could I use that to travel back and forth and watch? thanks for any information

Contributor

Re: Netflix-how does it work, is it portable question

Hi, in order to watch Netflix on any TV you have to have an internet connection and a device to connect you to Netflix. Some devices could be a roku as you stated or a smart tv, some of the gaming consoles, like xbox, or even some dvd players have wireless wifi installed in them. I stream Netflix to my tv via my sony bluray player which has wifi and come with the Netflix app installed on it. Before I got my bluray player, I streamed Netflix through my laptop and connected my laptop to my tv when I wanted to watch movies on a larger screen. Either way, you need to have an internet connection and then a device. And you can watch your Netflix in any location because you will login to Netflix with your user id and password. Just like going to any other website. Hope this helps. I love Netflix.

Occasional Contributor

I think it's 6 devices you can have activated on your account at any given time. I watch while on vacation so I don't think location matters. While visiting your mom she will need a device with Netflix capabilities you can activate and log on or you will need to bring one with you. If she has a smart tv, smart blue ray or dvd. If you have computer, ROKU or something to hook to the tv.

Super Contributor

Yes, you need to have a smart tv that has the netflix app already loaded on the tv, or you'll need to buy a ruko type of device. Once you create an account, you can use that account on several devices. For example, I watch netflix on my tv, iPad, iPhone, and computer. I logon to my account from whatever device I am using.
Respected Contributor

What device do you use at your house to watch Netflix? If it's portable, take it with you to your Mom's house.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone for the info. glb613, I don't have Netflix yet, but I think if I get ROKU then I can bring that with me to mom's and use at my house. We've both had a hard few years and since my dad passed in July I've been trying different things to cheer us up and get back in the swing of things so to speak. I bought the downton abbey dvd's and we had a marathon of that and she loved it, then I bought house of cards first season on dvd and we just finished that. so I figured, what the heck i'll get Netflix and we can watch the 2nd season now that it is on and whatever else they have on.

Honored Contributor

Roku 3 is $10 OFF today - only $89.00 at Amazon. This is the best one. I have two of them.

It will do what you need but wherever you take it needs to have an internet network.

I have the streaming Netflix ($7.99 a month) and enjoy it. Sure, everything isn't available on streaming as is available with the 'DVD through the mail' program. But eventually stuff is on streaming. I use it a lot.

ETA - the Roku 3 is hooked up by HDMI, but they make that clear in the description. The lesser models can be used with TVs that don't have HDMI ports.

Respected Contributor

When you get Netflix, be sure to watch "House of Cards". It's very good. BTW, at home I stream through my Apple TV or my smart Bluray player.

Honored Contributor

I just got a new smart tv and was thinking about subscribing to Netflix. I know it's $8 a month (I read it's going up to $9 or $10). I would like to know if anyone thinks it's worth the money? I have TWC and can watch my shows on demand the next day if I missed them. I was wondering how soon Netflix gets new movies. I would most likely watch it more for the movies than tv shows.

Occasional Contributor

Hello, I love Netflix! I do get the streaming with the 2 dvd subscription. I get my money's worth because we can stream shows at our own house, my 2 kids at different colleges can stream there and my mother can stream at her house. All off of just my account! So for 22.00 I paid a couple dollars more to be able to use more devices. That 22 bucks gives me the 2 dvds and lets 4 different households to enjoy the streaming.

Your mom could stream shows at her house without you even having to be there, as long as she has a device to stream on and your login.