Super Contributor

Re: Need help 'Cutting the Cord' with Cable

On 12/23/2014 Campion said:
On 12/22/2014 Lynnj said:

Just wanted to add, for those who are using devices or smart TVs for streaming, internet providers will be changing the pricing strategy in the near future. Like your cell phone, they will be charging you by the amount of data used. This will have huge impact to people who stream using devices and/or smart TVs.

Internet providers are usually the same as cable/satellite providers, and they are seeing many opt out or drop cable/satellite for TV, knowing that people are accessing the stuff they want to watch for much cheaper via streaming services. Since internet providers are losing money they will shift to a new pricing model to make money. Basically, you need internet to stream. You want to stream, you will now pay data charges for the amount of data used during the month.

You have a news source for this? I'd be interested to read some facts.

Here is a data source for you. There are others out there too, you can google them to see. Copy paste this link into your browser. ----http://www.dailytech.com/Comcast+to+Users+Stop+Using+the+Internet+so+Much+We+Will+Cap+You/article349...
Valued Contributor

We were stupidly paying $130ish a month on cable with (in my opinion) very little to watch. Booted cable, bought 2 Roku's on ebay and pay $16 a month for tv. We will be dead before we could watch all that's available now! $16 and loving it!!!

Super Contributor

On 12/23/2014 chickenbutt said:
On 12/23/2014 okBlonde said:
On 12/23/2014 autumnfaire said:

I googled it and there are articles about having varied price tiers, or charging extra if customers use more than a certain amount of data.

That already happens with AT&T dsl and Uverse (I think!). I know with the DSL it does. You were allowed to use 150 GB a month, anything over that was $10 for each 50 GB additional. Currently Comcast doesn't charge extra.

I've had ATT dsl for years and there have never been limits. We pay one flat amount for unlimited usage.

Well, I had them for years also. I had the top tier plan with the fastest speed which really wasn't all that fast compared to what I have now. I found out about the limit on an AT&T forum as I never read the fine print. I never went over the 150 GB personally. But you WILL be charged if you do. My neighbor was.

Honored Contributor

On 12/23/2014 Rabid1 said:
On 12/23/2014 feline groovy said:

And since CBS doesn't have the current season of their shows on Hulu (Les Moonves doesn't make <em>enough</em> money I guess {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}), I watch what is available on their website.

CBS has an iOS and Android app that can keep you up. It has short commercials and does not keep the whole season, it rolls at about 8 episodes, or it has a pay version but still has the same commercials.

Thanks; sounds decent if you have an Android or iOS device. And the pay version for those who love to binge-watch. But as I'm homebound, I don't since there's no need for one.

Good to know anyway.