Valued Contributor

I just purchased a new laptop battery for my Dell.  It's a 9 cell.  I've been using it for about 2 weeks and only get 2 hours from the battery.  Today I left it go down to 20% and then pluged it in and closed the notebook.  My battery meter said the battery will take 169 minutes to get to 100%.  i checked the battery function and it said it's normal.  Should i have expected more time on a new battery that cost $90.?  I can send it back for a refund.  I thought for 2 hours I could of purchased  a cheap battery for $25.  I'm sure my original 9 cell Dell lasted 4 to 5 hours when new.  I followed the instructions that came with the battery and did just as they said.  Got it from a reputable online seller with a lot of good reviews.  Has a 2 year warranty too.

Esteemed Contributor

This is a link to test a Dell battery and an AC adapter.

https://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/266440/EN#Check-the-Battery

Respected Contributor

A 9 cell should get more than 2 hours.  I'd send it back and buy new.  Multi-tasking or having lots of programs running at the same time will depleat your battery sooner.  I'd suggest you minimize the number of open programs when on bettery power.  You can further extend your battery life by not having the brightness set at 100%. 

Respected Contributor

Re: NEW LAPTOP BATTERY

[ Edited ]

It's good timing you posted this. My son called me yesterday and he has a HP 17' computer only a few months old. He used just the battery (has a 4 cell battery) and got 2 1/2 hours. It listed 5 hours on the battery. I told him the next time I visit I will see what he runs while using it. The more things you close help as glb613 said. It is good to run the battery way down when you first get the laptop to be sure it is charging correctly. I run mine on power 6 days a week and then run it on battery once a week and let it go doen and recharge it.I have a Toshiba 15" laptop 4 years old. I also never get more than 2 1/2 hours on my laptop and never have. I would think a 9 cell battery would get at least 5 hours. My son is new to a laptop as his desktop died. You can also turn the brightness down and save battery life.

Honored Contributor

Was it a generic brand battery?

Valued Contributor

Here's the information on the battery:

• Brand:
  • Voltage:
  • Battery Capacity:
  • Battery Type:
  • Cell Origin:
  • Color:
  • Warranty:
  • Guarantee:
  • Useful Life:
  • Xtend
  • 11.1 Volts
  • 7800 mAh or
  • 9 Cell Li-ion (6 cell available here)
  • Samsung (South Korea)
  • Black
  • 2 Year Warranty
  • 30 day full satisfaction guarantee
  • 300-500 recharge cycles

Thought this would be what I was looking for.

Respected Contributor

That seems like an inordinately long time to recharge a battery, @kismet .  How old is your AC Adapter?  I'd suggest that before returning the battery you check that first, and I see @Nuttmeg has already provided a link for you.  Good luck with it.  I know AC Adapters do go.  I've had to replace one here.  HTH'sWoman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Valued Contributor

I bought a new adapter too. Mine has seen better days so i just decided to get both.

I got a return email from the company explaining the problem and they said to run the battery down to 0 and then charge it and that would calibrate the battery.  I did that tonight and stayed off the computer the whole time and it took over 3 hours to charge.  I checked the charge when I pulled the adapter and it said 1hr 58 min.  The company also said they would replace the battery if it's not working correctly but to be honest I wonder if another would be better.  I only have 30 days to return it.  If I return the battery I'll return the adapter too.  My old adapter still works so I can use that and buy a battery elsewhere.  Its frustrating when things don't work as they should.  For $90. I expect better. 

Respected Contributor

Return it before you don't have the option. 

Honored Contributor

I can't help wondering if the old A/C adapter is not adequate for the new, 9cell, battery.    Could there be something in that?