Honored Contributor

So this morning I couldn't get on the internet on any of my devices. I have Time Warner Cable and figured something was wrong with the modem. I unplugged the modem and router and still nothing. I call TWC getting a recorded message telling me to do exactly what I had done twice. Finally I get a human being who then tells me to do what I have already tried 3 times. He then tells me it's my router not the modem. He then tells me I can use the modem as my router it's included for free. He says why buy another router when you can use the modem. I was able to keep my same network and password. He assured me no one can use my network without having my password. I'm not tech savvy and hope I won't have any problems.

Honored Contributor

My DSL modem is also my router. I have no doubts that it is as safe as anything online can be. Waiting for my ISP to start using AC Modem/Routers as that will catch of up the technology. No sure it will do much with my wireless speed, but I know it will if the devices I buy in the future come with AC capabilities.

Not 100% sure of the above, but I do know AC is supposed to be much faster than 802.11N, or so it is said anyways.

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor
Wowee...why didn't cable tell you this before when they installed your modem combo? I need to get another router myself to handle higher speed modem from Comcast. Cable has us all by the short hairs. The cable company should walk you thru your setup. It shouldn't be hard.
Esteemed Contributor
On 3/10/2015 ritasNo1Fan said: Wowee...why didn't cable tell you this before when they installed your modem combo? I need to get another router myself to handle higher speed modem from Comcast. Cable has us all by the short hairs. The cable company should walk you thru your setup. It shouldn't be hard.

If you have Comcast phone service VOIP, call your local office and ask can you buy a gateway. The company will tell you what to buy.

Last year Comcast upgraded Blast service. I wanted to replace my five year old cable modem. You may want to check out DSL Reports http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast

Esteemed Contributor

You need to check with TW and see if the box they are providing you has the passive hot spot built in and if it is active. Then you can decide whether or not you want to inactivate it. If it is active, you are becoming a all-subscriber hot spot and may not know it.

Also if TW is charging you a monthly fee for their box, you should check into the cost savings of buying your own. This would also get rid of the above issue.

Honored Contributor
Hi Still Raining, like I said I'm not tech savvy so I don't know what you mean by passive hot spot built in.I'm sure TWC is charging me for the use of the modem, but don't I need it to get Wi-Fi into my home? I believe the router just lets you use devices wirelessly, you also need a modem.
Respected Contributor
On 3/11/2015 jordan2 said: Hi Still Raining, like I said I'm not tech savvy so I don't know what you mean by passive hot spot built in.I'm sure TWC is charging me for the use of the modem, but don't I need it to get Wi-Fi into my home? I believe the router just lets you use devices wirelessly, you also need a modem.

You can buy your own modem and router. There is no need to rent from TW. Several different cable companies are providing a modem/router combo to their customers for a fee of course. These router/modem combos have 2 signals broadcasting at the same time. One is call a hotspot and often is broadcasting an unsecure signal from your unit. You need to get into your account settings (if it works like Comcast) and turn the hotspot off.