Esteemed Contributor

We currently have a lifetime XM subscription (don't think that's available now) and so far we have gotten 335000 miles of radio out of it (we are on the road a lot).  I  paid $300 for my subscription 10 years ago but when I buy a new car (won't be for a couple of years) I will negotiate hard with XM for the best rate.  We drive through desolate deserts and mountains and I won't be without my XM.

Honored Contributor

I've been listening to music on ipod and then iphone for more than 10 years. I have a cd drive in my car but I never use it. It's so much better and easier to just listen to playlists through my car stereo. 

I'd download itunes and create a library and rip all my music onto my computer. Or get an Apple Music subscription. I have both. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

My Forester did come with a 3 month free subscription (good until 4/20/17) to SiriusXM, but I have yet to play with it, &  I really don't want to pay for radio anyway, since like I said, i'm not a big radio listener.  My saleslady synched my iPhone up to the car when I took delivery & the car has Bluetooth, HD Radio & a bunch of other stuff that I don't know what it is, so that part is already done.  I never had an iPod or MP3 player, so this is foreign territory for me!  The CDs I carried in my old car were self burned copies, so i haven't uploaded to anything before for playback on other devices, so i need to learn to do that.  I do have iTunes on my desktop, but haven't used or played with it.  I got a haircut today & my stylist suggested I go to the Apple Store & have them help me or maybe, they have classes on these things for old tech challenged people such as I!  

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I've been listening to music on ipod and then iphone for more than 10 years. I have a cd drive in my car but I never use it. It's so much better and easier to just listen to playlists through my car stereo. 

I'd download itunes and create a library and rip all my music onto my computer. Or get an Apple Music subscription. I have both. 

That's kind of where I want to be, but I missed out on the 10 years of using an iPod!  My hairstylist told me she has a family plan subscription to Apple Music that her whole family uses & loves it & told me to check into that.

Honored Contributor

I bought a new Accord and I had no idea how to use 1/2 of the stuff in the car! I stopped at the dealership and asked in service for someone to help me.

This pleasant young lady showed me ever aspect of the navigation, music, apps to get music, and all the in & outs using my IPhone in the car. She was about 25 and believe me she was excited to share her knowledge (actually she is the tech rep at the dealership). I was there about 1 hour and I was so impressed I treated her to lunch!

im not a expert but i do know how to use all the audio features & I use IHeartRadio and made my own playlist (free app).

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

My Forester did come with a 3 month free subscription (good until 4/20/17) to SiriusXM, but I have yet to play with it, &  I really don't want to pay for radio anyway, since like I said, i'm not a big radio listener.  My saleslady synched my iPhone up to the car when I took delivery & the car has Bluetooth, HD Radio & a bunch of other stuff that I don't know what it is, so that part is already done.  I never had an iPod or MP3 player, so this is foreign territory for me!  The CDs I carried in my old car were self burned copies, so i haven't uploaded to anything before for playback on other devices, so i need to learn to do that.  I do have iTunes on my desktop, but haven't used or played with it.  I got a haircut today & my stylist suggested I go to the Apple Store & have them help me or maybe, they have classes on these things for old tech challenged people such as I!  

As posted by many different people, you can put your music on your phone, pair your phone with your car and listen to your music through your car speakers.  You put the music on your phone through iTunes.  You get the music int iTunes by having the program open and putting a CD into the drive.  After you put the CD into the drive, iTunes will ask if you want to import the music.  Click on yes and it will do it for you.  Once you have all of your CDs imported into iTunes, synch your phone.  Syncing your phone is also done through iTunes

This is not a difficult process but I can understand if it seems like more than you can do.  You can do this.  Go to the Apple and see if they will show you how to do it.  There are also a lot of videos online that will walk you through it step by step.  Here is one I think is good. 

Import music into iTunes

Honored Contributor

I agree with the posters who suggested going to the dealership for help.  I bought a new Nissan Altima this year, and before I left there was a tech rep that showed me how to use everything like that.  It was pretty overwhelming, and she told me to please come back or call her if I had any questions.

I've been able to figure out most of the things that I couldn't remember by Googling or looking in the owner's handbook.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor
It's been 3 years and I still don't have Bluetooth connected. I gave up after several attempts while parked on driveway. Last car had 5 cd changer and tape deck. Serius Radio nice but understand wanting cd's. Progress is not all good!!😥
Esteemed Contributor

@Twins Mom, try again!  As mentioned above, you can google, youtube or look at the car manual.  Also, next time you bring your car for service, get them to assist you.  I can get around my gadgets pretty well but I needed some help with my navigation system.  The dealership does this all the time.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

@twins mom wrote:
It's been 3 years and I still don't have Bluetooth connected. I gave up after several attempts while parked on driveway. Last car had 5 cd changer and tape deck. Serius Radio nice but understand wanting cd's. Progress is not all good!!😥

Are you going into settings/bluetooth on your device and choosing your car stereo as the   device to connect to? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval