Trusted Contributor

My Microsoft Office expired and of course I can't use it anymore.  I am not going to buy it again as I don't use Excel or Powerpoint.  Does anyone know of a word document that is free or inexpensive?  I don't mind paying for something but think it's ridiculous to pay for stuff I won't use.  All I basically use it for is to copy and paste recipes and to occasionally write letters, etc.  TIA

Esteemed Contributor

MS Office is so standard, I would recommend renewing it - even if u don't use ppt or excel. 

Honored Contributor

@sabra

Google docs?

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@sabra

Google docs?

I use Google docs for lots of things, and it's so easy to share and edit with other people,  but haven't used in place of Word, but I think it would be a good replacement.

there is another program free to use but I forgot the name 

Esteemed Contributor

@sabra Microsoft Word Pad came free on my laptop. It is similar to MS Word and can be found under Windows Accessories in Windows 10.

Esteemed Contributor
@sabra, when i used a PC daily i used Google Docs for all my personal stuff and Microsoft Office just for business. I always prefered the Google Doc.
Isn't Google docs called Google Drive now?
Trusted Contributor

I use OpenOffice on my Windows 10 laptop. It's free. Nearly as good as MS Word.

I think there is another freebie - Libre Office, or something like that.

Respected Contributor

@sabra wrote:

My Microsoft Office expired and of course I can't use it anymore.  I am not going to buy it again as I don't use Excel or Powerpoint.  Does anyone know of a word document that is free or inexpensive?  I don't mind paying for something but think it's ridiculous to pay for stuff I won't use.  All I basically use it for is to copy and paste recipes and to occasionally write letters, etc.  TIA

Open Office and Libre Office are free for he download.  Don't use Works if it's on your Windows computer. It's not compatible with anything.  I also wouldn't use Word Pad but, that's me. 

I have a Mac and use Pages.  It was free on my MacBook Pro but, I had to buy it on my iMac.  While compatible with Word, it doesn't always have the fonts. 

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

I use OpenOffice on my Windows 10 laptop. It's free. Nearly as good as MS Word.

I think there is another freebie - Libre Office, or something like that.

yes it's open office,

thanks 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:
@sabra, when i used a PC daily i used Google Docs for all my personal stuff and Microsoft Office just for business. I always prefered the Google Doc.
Isn't Google docs called Google Drive now?

Yes Google Drive now

has all the doc/sheets and everything else under that "umbrella" but us "oldschoolers" call it google docs

I really like the sharing aspect of it which is super easy,

my daughter and I set up a spreadsheet of a visit list stuff to do etc, and we can add edit things in the sheet and the other person will see instantly