Honored Contributor

Does FB provide a way for people to create, say, a birthday message to someone months in advance, and have it post on a certain date? I wasn't aware there was a way, but ???

A (not close) relative of mine passed away unexpectedly a few weeks ago. For a while there were many messages TO her FB page and then nothing. Suddenly today there appears on her FB page a message where she's wishing someone happy birthday and making a personal comment. It was very jarring, to say the least.

My first thought was that her account was hijacked, but I don't know. The message reads like it could be legit. No one else in her family ever posted from her page, they all have their own pages. Her page was pretty active (i.e. not an abandoned account) until her unexpected short illness and death.

Could she have written it say 2-3 months ago to appear on her own page (and not the birthday girl's ???) today? Very strange...

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a Twilight Zone episode!

Honored Contributor

I think that totally inexplicable things can happen sometimes for no apparent, or earthly, reason.

If the recipient is not disturbed, there's probably no reason for anyone else to be, unless further info surfaces.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde  Yes, I googled it.  I'm afraid to provide a link.  Just google Facebook  schedule automated birthday wishes.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @mima

I thought that might be it, although I'd never heard of a specific method. I would think it would be leaving the message on the other person's page though, not your own, but people do different things, I guess. It just didn't sound like a typical hack.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde,  I think those automated birthday wish apps post to the Timeline of the person with the birthday, not to the sender's Timeline.  You might want to notify a close relative to check it out and, perhaps, to remove the account or change it to a memorialized account.   I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your relative.Heart

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo, that's what I've known about, posted to *the person's* timeline. That, I wouldn't question.

When she was alive and well, her page was moderately busy. Many people who live in her hometown & were her BFFs, as well as her husband and adult children will have seen this post, I'm sure, and no one's said a word about this on the page.

I live many states away, had never met her (it's an interesting story), and no one who might be "in charge" of her FB page (if anyone is) would know me from Adam. So not really appropriate for me at this time to try and say anything - but if I see anything more, and other posts, I probably would try to let someone know.

Thank you - she was a generous, kind and lovely person, even though we only knew each other through email. She was working on the genealogy of my father's family and trying to find someone for me right up until she fell ill (fast-moving brain tumor out of the blue).