Honored Contributor

Re: MacBook Air...start up disk is full?

We have a 2009 MacBook Pro. Had the hard drive replaced a year ago and still going strong.

I have enormous faith in Apple/Mac products AND service. I have had fights with store personnel, but by and large, excellent.

Honored Contributor

@glb613...is doing a 'restore' a difficult, lengthy process?

I use my MacBook Air mostly for business and don't want to do something  wrong......jeopardizing use of the machine until I can get assistance.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@glb613...is doing a 'restore' a difficult, lengthy process?

I use my MacBook Air mostly for business and don't want to do something  wrong......jeopardizing use of the machine until I can get assistance.

It wasn't for me.  Here are the sites I used to redo my computer.  I didn't have a current backup which was not good on my part.  But, this is a computer I don't use for anything important and there wasn't anything for me to lose.  But for you, having a current backup is important. 

The first thing to do is make a backup with Time Machine using an external hard drive.  Here are some links to help you. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Honored Contributor

@glb613...thanks, I appreciate your help.

Respected Contributor

If you want to wait and see if the "other" files can be removed another way, I don't blame you.  As I preach on a regular basis, you need to backup your computer on a regular basis if it's not already a habit.  Good Luck

Honored Contributor

@glb613  The apple service tech that assisted me told me that El Capitan was the culpurit. He said I could go back to a different OS but did not really recommend it.

I have nothing stored on this MacBook so I am not in danger of losing anything.

Respected Contributor

He's wrong.  I did a restore, reinstalled El Capitan and have almost no "other" files. 

Honored Contributor

Great....I will look into doing a restore...I do not want to purchase a new MacBook, thanks.

Respected Contributor

Good luck.  Follow the instructions in the links I posted and you should be fine.  Give yourself plenty of time, turn off the screen saver and sleep mode while doing the restore.  Be sure to perform a backup before proceding and have it plug into AC power.