Trusted Contributor
Comcast is rated way down on the list of Cable providers but I certainly don't believe any list. You should call them and tell them you want a technician to come out and check your modem and wiring. Just FYI, do not ever switch to Fios. I just switched from Direct Tv to Verizon Fios and I curse the day I ever switched. They claimed that Fios was #1. They're #1 in having the worst CS, Executives and Tecnical Support. I've had to call every day for a month and all my problems are still not solved. They are a disgrace.
Respected Contributor
On 3/16/2015 kismet said:

Well just to see if something was blocking the signal we moved the microwave and moved the toaster oven. No change. Could be the refer but can't move that but it is on the same side of the house. So guess I'll just have to move closer to the other side of the house if I want a faster speed. It is better than the years of dial up I had. Just that 26 is so fast compared to 10. I'll just let it be.

I just got my printer in tonight since we got the new modem. Our phone still won't take any messages so have to call Comcast. Seems like it's always something.

Just for some information to others, we didn't hook up the newer modem because my husband didn't get to it. Comcast charged me $10. for a modem that wasn't used, which it was since we still had the old one in. I was charged for the new one too. We got a credit for that $10. Then I just got another bill this week with another $10. charge. We were told in a letter to just take the old modem to recycling or send it back whichever we wanted. So have to straighten that out with the letter. My neighbor said she heard Comcast had a lot of problems with the new modem and said she hasn't put hers in yet. Asked if she got a charge for the old one of $10. and she said she didn't check her bill. Ours is going back this week.

You'll never get speed as fast with a wireless connection as you do wired. I have Comcast, get 30 mbps when connected via a Cat 5/ethernet cable and 15 mbps connected via wireless. What you're talking about is normal.

The other thing that determines how well your wireless connection works is the wireless signal strength. It's similar to the number of bars you have with your cell phone. If that is low, it will definitely affect your computer's performance when online. The placement of the router, layout of your house and the construction materials will effect the strength of the signal. You have a wireless signal strength indicator on your device. If it's low, get a range extender or move the router.

Esteemed Contributor

You may want to take this problem to DSL Reports Comcast forum. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast. You will get some suggestions to help with this problem.

Honored Contributor

Any landline phone line plug without a filter can cause this. Do you have any phones plugged into phone outlets without filters?

Valued Contributor

I don't know if there are any filters on the land line. I can ask my husband or call Comcast. This afternoon my husband was using his computer in the family room and he is having a lot of trouble with the network bars going out. I looked a the computer and it was strange. I did notice too that there are a lot more people on our ""Connect To"" than there use to be. I counted 13 others that were online and only 3 had the new modem. So others haven't hooked them up yet. I'll wait and see if Comcast comes up with some way to push the signal. I feel if more people hook up and get what I get then they will complain. I think we can buy our own modem also which my husband said would be better. For now I feel we should just wait. Surely others will start complaining.

Just a while back I got on my computer and I noticed that while a page was trying to load the connection was reset and my page didn't come up. I go on the speedtest and it said .42. That's the lowest I've ever gotten. I noticed the ping was 33 on that. No wonder the low signal. The old modem with our own router was faster and better.

We've been on Comcast for almost 10 years and I've never had a problem with them. They've always been here and always on time. They had to rewire our house when we went on wireless since they said our wiring was old and it was. I guess it all depends on where you live.

My son-in-law was on I think it was Direct TV and brought up some box to see if we could get a signal here and we can't. We have a lot of evergreens around the house and can't pick up a signal. I would get a dish if we could pick the signal up. We really have no choice other than Comcast right now. I was thinking about FIOS but have heard what the other poster said.

We did get our land line fixed yesterday. It took them about an hour to fix it.

I'll check out the Comcast link you sent.