Valued Contributor

Was wondering if anyone can tell me what would cause a slow speed on the internet. When I use my computer in the family room where the cable comes in I get about 26. I mostly use the computer in a bedroom and I get as little as 10 in here. I live in a one story that is about 85 ft. long. I checked the speed going all the way to the end of the house using the hallway by the bedrooms and it's about 18. When I go into the bedroom just a few feet from the hall my internet slows way down. If I go toward the window it picks up to about 18. What would interfere with getting a higher signal in here. I just got the new Comcast router/modem hooked up and it's not that. I've had the same problem with my router and a Comcast modem. I prefer to use the computer where it's quiet or I would use it in the family room. Is there something that would block the signal from being strong at this distance.

Honored Contributor

Have you checked with your cable company to see if they could offer some assistance? It does sound like there is some type of interference from some where. They might be able to figure out what is going on.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Are you using a wireless (WiFi) router? If so, I would say look in to an upgrade on that.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Make sure the router is in the center of the house. If you can't, get a range extender and put it near the problem area where you still get a good signal.

Esteemed Contributor

You may want to consider buying a faster speed from Comcast. You have to look at how many wireless devices are being used. These device share this bandwith.

Trusted Contributor
Valued Contributor

I do have WiFi. Just put in the new modem which has it's own router in it from Comcast. The modem is at the far end of the other side of the house. I was thinking, not knowing much about connections, that we should of had it put in the dining room. It wouldn't be in the center of the house but better than where it is now. I would bypass the kitchen. I have it in kitchen on a counter. My suspicion was that there is a full bathroom next to this bedroom and the wall with the tile is just on the other side of one of my walls which would block the signal.

Another thing is I live on a private road and we have a booster for our TV because as Comcast said we are at the end of the road and get a weaker signal. Wondering if Comcast would do anything since we do get a good signal where the modem is.

Found out today that since we put in the new modem that people can't leave a message on my phone. We called our number from our cell and it said we have to put a code in. So will have to call them about that too. Sometimes new isn't better. They may have to move the cable. Most of the time I'm the only one on the computer, my husband will go on later at night and I'm usually off so not like we have high usage.

I did read the webpage to Comcast and it seems I may have a lot of things blocking the signal.

Respected Contributor

As I posted, put the router/modem in the center of the house or buy a range extender. Range extenders are cheap compared to paying Comcast an additional charge for activating a cable connection in another room.

Honored Contributor

Don't take this wrong, but 10 mbps is pretty darn fast. I'd be surprised if you truly needed more than that for most uses. The only way to get consistent speed through the house is to use a wired network instead of wireless, or to use multiple access points/extenders connected by cat 5 cables into the router. Wireless extenders will cost you a little speed (not much) but if you really want optimum speed then more cabling is the answer.

As you've discovered the speed of a wireless network diminishes over distance and the further you get from the router, the slower your speeds are. Once again, 10 mbps is pretty darn fast even at your worst reading, so I wouldn't be overly alarmed by that drop-off in speed. In fact, I'd be pretty happy to be getting 10 mbps. Unless you're planning on streaming 4K HDTV programming, 10 mbps should be perfectly adequate for anything you're likely to do. I wouldn't bother doing anything to upgrade from that. I'd leave the router where it is, I wouldn't buy an extender or access point, I wouldn't call the cable company to move the modem/router combo. For the vast majority of what you do you won't see a real difference between 10 mbps and 26 mbps. Would it be nice to have the full 26 mbps everywhere? Sure, but 10 mbps isn't bad.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

Well just to see if something was blocking the signal we moved the microwave and moved the toaster oven. No change. Could be the refer but can't move that but it is on the same side of the house. So guess I'll just have to move closer to the other side of the house if I want a faster speed. It is better than the years of dial up I had. Just that 26 is so fast compared to 10. I'll just let it be.

I just got my printer in tonight since we got the new modem. Our phone still won't take any messages so have to call Comcast. Seems like it's always something.

Just for some information to others, we didn't hook up the newer modem because my husband didn't get to it. Comcast charged me $10. for a modem that wasn't used, which it was since we still had the old one in. I was charged for the new one too. We got a credit for that $10. Then I just got another bill this week with another $10. charge. We were told in a letter to just take the old modem to recycling or send it back whichever we wanted. So have to straighten that out with the letter. My neighbor said she heard Comcast had a lot of problems with the new modem and said she hasn't put hers in yet. Asked if she got a charge for the old one of $10. and she said she didn't check her bill. Ours is going back this week.