Honored Contributor

Loving the ok google feature

on my chromebook and my LG android phone. I don't even have to type my questions anymore. My favorite new thing to play with ok google ..... 

Respected Contributor

Re: Loving the ok google feature

I like the voice to text with text messaging and emails too!  There is a tiny microphone symbol on the keyboard, touch it and it will activate and it's very quick and easy to dictate a text.  

It gets better at knowing/understanding your voice and names, places, etc., the more you use it.  My husband only uses voice commands now on his, just hates to try and use the keyboard on his LG android.

Honored Contributor

Sadly, my phone doesn't have that feature.I wish it did.

Respected Contributor

I don't have the microphone on my keyboard but have no problem just using the microphone on the Google Search bar when making a voice text call. Check this I found online out and it may help you have it to. There should be a VOICE SEARCH APP on your phone if it is an Android smartphone. I have an LG L41C Tracfone and my husband has an ZTC Android phone and he has it. I bring mine up under the App and he brings his up under the Google App and hits the microphone for the voice. You say who you want to text and send to-wait and Google voice asks what your message is and after you say the message it asks if you want to fix or send. Send and it goes. It takes the same amount of your Minutes as typing it.

Google Voice might be a new service, but it seems that the big search engine company is updating it frequently in order to improve the user experience. According to reports, the latest update that has been released for Google Voice has brought a new feature available for both desktop PCs and Android mobile devices.

People who use Google Voice on a desktop PC or an Android device can now delete conversations. On the other hand, users that own an Android device can now set a “Do Not Disturb” status, which will disable the notifications for text messages that they receive on Google Voice. Android users will also notice an archive feature that allows you to archive a conversation quickly thanks to a newly added short function.

Google plans to bring even more new features and options to its Voice application, but it will most likely take a while until that happens. In the meantime, here are some of the features that you will find on Google Voice:

Calling on Web;
GIF image search (Gboard users only);
Disable app notifications for text messages (Android Only);
Delete Conversations;
Do Not disturb;
Conversation archive shortcut (Android Only).
If you have never used Google Voice before, then you should know that the application gives you a free phone number, which you can use for calling, sending text messages or even using voicemail. The application works on both computers and smartphones and it will synchronize across your device so that you can use the application from both your desktop PC and mobile device.

HINT: Google Voice is currently available only in the U.S. and all the calls that you make through the application from an Android device will use the standard minutes from your cell phone plan. However, calls are made via the US-based Google Voice access number, which may incur additional costs (when you travel to another country).

Hope this helps. Unless it is a very old flip phone it should work. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I was about to install an app to do the text by voice when it alerted me that this would allow access to everything I type including passwords, so I decided that wasn't a good idea.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

on my chromebook and my LG android phone. I don't even have to type my questions anymore. My favorite new thing to play with ok google ..... 

I love the voice-activated assistants. I have an iPhone, so mine is Hey Siri.

I have a dashboard mount for my iPhone, which is my GPS device. If I drive by something of interest (restaurant, subdivision, etc), or hear about something interesting on the radio, I'll say, "Hey Siri, Google search X for me" and then Siri will find and display the web search results. I say Hey Siri, open Waze and Siri will take me back to my GPS app and push the web page to the background so that I can read more about whatever Siri found when I arrive at my destination.

I also use it to read and send text messages while I drive so that I don't have to take my eyes off the road. And if I need to, I can say "Hey Siri, take a note" or "Set a reminder" and Siri will let me dictate a note or set a reminder so that I remember things for later. Sometimes I get a really good idea for something while I'm driving and can't write it down or remember something I need to get at the grocery store after work - Siri writes it down it for me and I don't have to look at anything but the road to get it done.

I'm glad you're making good use of Okay Google!

Respected Contributor

I never use it  for I never think about it.  I forget that I have siri too lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I was about to install an app to do the text by voice when it alerted me that this would allow access to everything I type including passwords, so I decided that wasn't a good idea.

You get that generic warning from your phone with most all apps even if they are safe.  You need to google the app and see if it is safe.  If it is, you can go ahead and use it.