New Contributor

I have comcast service.  The problem I am having is that my computer is extremely slow.

I have a netgear "stick" plugged into my computer.  I was wondering if I bought a router would that help the my computer's speed.

Thanks 

Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for Router Advice

Hello,

I just replaced my D-Link router which was 5 years old with a Netgear R6300 Smart WiFi router. My computer, PS4, Roku devices and digtal TV boxes were not slow, it was the router. I had to keep doing resets on the old router.  I have a large 2 story home, so I picked this one because it covers 12 or more WiFi devices and has a longer range.  I don't know anything about a Netgear stick though. So far the connection and speed on all devices is good, streaming is working much better too.  Good luck.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply.  I do not want to replace the router for the tv, I just want to add something to my computer so that it run faster.

Respected Contributor

I'm with comcast - a few months ago they sent me a letter that I would need to update my router.  I never did (because they are $199!) and my service is slow, but it still works fine enough for me.  I refuse to pay comcast another dime by renting one from them and I won't spend $199 to replace my old one.  One day my service wasn't working at all and I called comcast - they said it was because I never updated my router.  They kick started it and it works again and I still haven't replaced the old one.  Just depends if you can live with the slower service.  Comcast will tell you which router you need to get if you want to upgrade if you give them a call. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jogal wrote:

I have comcast service.  The problem I am having is that my computer is extremely slow.

I have a netgear "stick" plugged into my computer.  I was wondering if I bought a router would that help the my computer's speed.

Thanks 

I'm confused. Is the problem with your wi-fi speed or the speed of your actual computer? There's a big difference.

A new router can improve your wi-fi signal in your home, but if the problem is with your computer's processing speed or RAM, then a new router won't help at all. The problem could also be the modem, not the router (unless they are one and the same, which some are), and replacing a router won't do anything to help if the problem is with your modem, not your router.

Is your computer faster when you use wifi from another location? Have you done an internet speed test? Have you done a speed test over the router and one plugged directly into the modem to compare the results? And are the results close to the speed promised by your ISP?

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I'm with comcast - a few months ago they sent me a letter that I would need to update my router.  I never did (because they are $199!) and my service is slow, but it still works fine enough for me.  I refuse to pay comcast another dime by renting one from them and I won't spend $199 to replace my old one.  One day my service wasn't working at all and I called comcast - they said it was because I never updated my router.  They kick started it and it works again and I still haven't replaced the old one.  Just depends if you can live with the slower service.  Comcast will tell you which router you need to get if you want to upgrade if you give them a call. 

I rent my router (it's a minimal amount), but they are responsible how it works.  If it acts up or dies, they will bring me a new one. 

It's cheaper in the long run for me to just rent one and let them be responsible for it. 

Respected Contributor

@jogal wrote:

Thanks 

I looked it up and a Netgear "stick" is a wireless adapter you attach to your computer to receive a wireless signal.  It's not a router.  If you rent a router/modem combo unit from Comcast, I'd call them to trouble shoot the problem.  The easiest thing you can do yourself is to unplug the power source to the modem/router, keep it off for 30 seconds to a minute, plug the power back in and let it reset itself. See if the speed improves. 

As posted, go to Google and search for speed test and run it.  If you aren't getting the speed you're [aying for, call Comcast and complain.