Respected Contributor

LG PREMIERE Reviews....What Do You Like/Not Like?

Since I've been playing with this for about a week, I thought this would be a good time for an overview. Checking reviews before purchase helps, so IMO, the pros outweighed the cons before I decided to purchase it. I don't download ANY apps, and dismiss update notifications, but apps are available for those so inclined. That's the new schtick: omit popular apps, and send users to the app store. Free or not, that's not for me.

CONS, in no particular order: No notification LED flash. You can set it to flash 6x, but that's only as a "ring" and doesn't repeat. Also, you don't notice it if your phone isn't face-down. 

- No conversation themes for texts. I used to like to set my own, usually a blue sky with some clouds, but that's not an option here. Again, there's an app for that.

-Only two keyboard themes, black or white.

-I don't like the muted, nondescript icons, so I've already changed them. The phone gallery of options is just as bad, so I simply added my own, without downloading an app: Google icons (phone icon, contacts icon, photo gallery icon, etc.) with an IMAGE search. hard press what you like, then "save image." It'll go directly to your photo gallery, then you can choose the option to use your gallery when changing the icon. I alread have the old bright green phone, a nice red alarm in place of that wimpy clock icon, and a big sunflower for the photo contacts. In other words, use the same procedure as for adding your own wallpaper.

-No clock widget....whaat? LOL, again, there's an app for that.

-No Gorilla Glass, which I loved even though it was first generation on the Ultimate 2. However, the plastic is high-quality and glossy. I'm keeping it that way by not shoving the phone in my purse--I use a wristlet, and may I suggest the economical box (less than $3) of B&L lens wipes, individually wrapped? 

I'm sure there are more "cons," but they'll probably overlap lol with some of the "pros."

PROS:

-You can't beat the bundle deal.

-The phone is physically appealing--"handsome," as my husband saysSmiley Happy. The screen is large and, as most LG's, very intuitive. I've already set 4 home pages; don't know what the limit is, but that's plenty (the little dots toward the screen bottom correspond to the number of screens; mine has four dots, then.

-I like the top "setting" pull-down menu instead of the bottom, but this is simply a matter of getting used to it.

-I like the power button on the back, but seldom use it, anyway. The phone is already set up to have the screen darken/come on with a tap. I almost never power it off entirely. IMO, the less you use switches or buttons, the better.

-The keyboard options are better. You can change the height setting, and also move the screen (thought it'll be compressed) to the right or to the left for easier one-handed texting.

-It's a very sleek, slim phone. I have a number of beautiful cases, and they all add just enough "bulk" for my taste. Yet the phone isn't bulky, it's just easier for me to grasp.

-I don't like that I can't change the title of songs I've downloaded. I like that because I list them alphabetically according to their correrct title. For example "What Child Is This?" in my Christmas playlist is  listed as simply "What." That's not an issue in the Christmas list, but with songs in my 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. lists, you can see how there might be a lot of songs which begin with "What" lol. Sadly, there's not "modify" button within the song details, but I'll live with it. The audio is crisp and clear--and loud enough for me, even without an added speaker.

-I was happy to see a flashlight. No strobe a on the Ultimate, but still as bright as ever. I rearranged the shortcuts on the notification shade, and put the flashlight first.

-You can change the navigation buttons (bottom of screen) to a maximum of five from the three that it comes with. These are the Home Touch Buttons in your Display System Settings. The fourth one I added was the "Notification" button, because this allows me to open the notification shade at the top, where I can easily see message previews(and clear them when I want to).

-You can also add Toolbar Buttons (up to five)  that appear when your surfing the net. That's handy when you want to simply click them to bookmark, save a page, etc.

How about you? What are your observations? I love reading about what people have discovered. I'm sure I'll think of more. All in all, I think it's a great phone. I'll keep it!

What worries you masters you.
Contributor

Re: LG PREMIERE Reviews....What Do You Like/Not Like?

Hi Moonlady  (love your nickname, being I'm a Cancer),

I ordered the LG Premier also, as both my husband and I have each had an LG Ultimate 2 for several years now and have always loved them, therefore, ordered the Premier as an upgrade.  The problem I found with the Premier  was that the signal strength was much weaker, even with the Verizon tower being only  two blocks away from our home... not sure why that was. So, when I would drive across town, I would be at no bars or maybe only 1, which was disturbing to me.

I had also ordered the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime a couple of months ago. It also had the problem of the  tower signal strength being very poor.  On the Grand Prime though, in the settings menu there is is an option called Mobile Networks, which gives the option of being 4G LTE or simply CDMA/EvDo, as is our LG Ultimate 2's, which always have super signal reception, even while traveling across the country and back on the train.   Once I changed  this mobile network option on the Grand Prime from the 4G LTE, which was what it was set to when I received it,  to the CDMA/EvDo, the signal strenght doubled and became much stronger, and I had  no more lost signal anywhere I went in town. It maintains 4-5 bars all the time now. Since I don't use data, I will keep it at this setting from now on.

I tried to find this feature on the LG Premier, to try to boost the tower signal strength also, but it is not available, or at least I couldn't find it.  Therefore, I decided to send it back and just keep the Grand Prime with my old LG Ultimate 2 as a backup phone due to the stronger signal strength they both get.  I would hate to be in an emergency situation and not have a competent phone signal.

I admit, the LG Premier is a beautiful phone with crisp, clear functions. It is also a bit lighter than the  Grand Prime, which seems to feel a smidgen heftier. Had there not been the issue with the signal strength being weak, I probably would have kept it for my husband to use as his new phone. 

Actually, getting right down to it, that little LG Ultimate 2 has been the absolute best phone we've ever had. It isn't 4g LTE capable, but, like I said, I hardly ever use the data feature so its never been a big deal for me.

I'm very happy you're enjoying your new phone, and hope you have much pleasure using it.  I certainly agree with you, these phones with the bundle deals just can't be beat.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Naneen, I know what you mean about the signal strengh but, as you alluded to, that's a peculiarity relating to data. It can be disconcerting to see only one or two bars, BUT that changes when you make or receive a call--or should;mine does. I've never gotten a dropped call, and that would bother me. These are, after all, phones!

And there's nothing but info about the mobile network, which I suspect was factory-set for the Premiere. There IS a code to change it, and that's been successful for some models. Since I'm not having a problem, I don't want to introduce problems.

That Samsung is another great phone, too,.as is the Ultimate 2!

Super Contributor

Hi I also loved the Ultimate 2 ( I had one for a year, then ordered another one the next year)!

But I'm also pretty happy with the LG Premier.

Just wanted to mention that when I put data on. in the heading it shows 4G LTE.  But the other day, I noticed that without doing anything it had changed to 3G. My conclusion was if 4G is not available, it will automatically look for 3G.

Honored Contributor

@namaste000 wrote:

Hi I also loved the Ultimate 2 ( I had one for a year, then ordered another one the next year)!

But I'm also pretty happy with the LG Premier.

Just wanted to mention that when I put data on. in the heading it shows 4G LTE.  But the other day, I noticed that without doing anything it had changed to 3G. My conclusion was if 4G is not available, it will automatically look for 3G.

@namaste000 - That's what I understood them to say during the presentations, so I hope that's accurate.

Super Contributor

I love my LG Premier. I tend to buy a new Tracfone every 6 - 12 months depending on how my minutes are going and how good I think the phone will be.

I bought the Premier because of the screen size and the 8 mp camera, so it was a very good move for me. I used to be concerned about the lack of Gorilla glass, but my dog has chewed on this phone several times already, with not so much as a scratch left on the screen. I always buy a hefty case from Amazon to protect the phone from falls - I'm a natural born klutz...

The new built-in flashlight feature is absolutely terrific and I don't mind having a separate widgit for a clock, because I like to configure it myself anyway. I also love when the Daydream Clock becomes my nightime companion while it is charging on my nightstand.

It is definitely a wonderful upgrade from my Sunset. Now I'm looking forward to another great upgrade next Spring with at least a 12 mp camera!

Respected Contributor

Hi @SchippyLuv. That flashlight is not a new feature with the LG Premier. As I mentioned, the Ultimate 2 had it, along with the strobe (that's been dropped from the Premier). And the screen is quite durable. The Premier is a wonderful phone, and I'm learning more about it every day. In addition, with the roll out of each upgrade, those of us who've had the Ultimate 2 are being reminded what a great phone that is!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonlady My uncle bought this phone and I set it up for him.  I thought it was very nice and I was glad I got to play with it in person because I would consider buying it for myself.  

I have the Ultimate 2 and, as I've said numerous times before, I love the LED button.  And as silly as it is, it's really the only thing holding me back from upgrading.  But I know sooner or later, I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade.  

I liked the Flashlight on the Premiere and how it was in the top pulldown menu, as opposed to an app.   I've only had LG smartphones and have grown accustomed to their top pulldown menu.  My mom had an Alcatel and I hated that pulldown menu.  I would like to see what Samsung's looks like, to compare it to LG's.

I thought the Premiere was light and thin and sleek and just a nice looking phone.  I liked the size.  It wasn't too big.  The Alcatel my mom tried was 5.5" screen size and techincally a phablet (according to Wiki) and it was too big.  The Premiere is 5.3" screen size, but I didn't feel it was too big.  The camera is nice for a Tracfone and I'm glad to see they're improving in this area.  The resolution was nice and crisp.  I also liked the texting keyboard, how the number line was on the top and you didn't have to toggle between letters and numbers.  That was one of my favorite things about the phone.  There's also an option to hide that in case you don't like it.

Does anyone know if Tracfone will release a phone with Marshmallow OS? 

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

I don't like the fact that if you have a message there is no blinking light to tell you as was on my old phone.  Also,  I always have to hit the back button to get my screen on.  Am I doing something wrong?  So far those are the 2 main things I don't like about the phone but you can't beat the price!!

Occasional Contributor

I love my LED Notification on the LG Ultimate 2 as well but have this phone, similar LG, and went to the Play Store and downloaded "Missed Call Reminder" by DO Software and will flash as well.  Only need the FREE portion.  You can setup times and durations with sound and flash.   There are a few but I selected this particlar one and tested a few times and it defintely helps.  Read the reviews and do not select below the 4 stars.  If not happy then try the next one.  Good Luck.