Super Contributor

LG PREMIER TRACFONE CDMA VS GSM

It looks like we have a new Tracfone Special coming up. I need a new phone, but this phone and the last Tracfone special both use CDMA or the Verizon network. The zipcode finder says I don't have service in my area, which I believe is incorrect, because I have had CDMA with Tracfone before.

1) Does anyone know if there is a big adavantage anymore to GSM over CDMA?

2) Why would the zipcode finder give incorrect information?

My zipcode is 97365.

Thanks...

Honored Contributor

Re: LG PREMIER TRACFONE CDMA VS GSM

[ Edited ]

@SchippyLuv

From what I can see, Verizon is fine if you are in Oregon.

If you get CDMA your only issue is your have to stay with Tracfone as your service provider.  

I have used Tracfone for going on 10 years and just as many different cell phones. I don'y pay any attention if different phones have a SIM Cards or not. If I buy a Tracfone, on the right Network Provider, I have no concern about CDMA over GSM.

I know T-Mobil ain't worth a carp in our area, so I would never buy a Tracfone that used only that network. My present one uses 3 of the 4 major cell providers and I have never had a dropped call.

Up to you, if you go CDMA you cannot change from Verizon to Sprint. You would have to buy a new cell phone.

E.T.A.  Do you really want to buy a Tracfone? I see you were asking questions about several different models going back to 2015. Maybe you are like a "late" friend of mine. Always asking me about electronics and which were the best choice for him.

Then he would say, a newer model would probably be out soon, and he'd better wait. Unfortunately he died while waiting. With any electronics there will always be "newer", but not always better models. Cell phones are no different. If you want to actually buy a Tracfone, since 2015 I would think you have had enough time and information(much from this forum), to have purchased one by now.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

@hckynut Per the Tracfone Team, you are correct and this new phone will work in my zipcode, despite their zipcode finder giving incorrect information.

I buy a new Tracfone at least every year. My next unanswered question is: is there a major difference between CDMA and GMA? I currently have GMA and I don't want to switch around if there is a major disadvantage to going back to CDMA.

So @hckynut, any thoughts?

Thanks...

Super Contributor

Hi @hckynut - never mind - I just purchased it. I'll take my chances. My CandyCrush game keeps crashing and I just can't stand it anymore.

Thanks for your help...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SchippyLuv Please let's everyone know how you like this phone.

Honored Contributor

It's strange it shows it will work in my zip code which always shows it will not work on a CDMA phone. All our Tracfone's have been GSM. We use AT&T. As far as I know CDMA phones use Verizon or Sprint. GSM phones have service with AT&T or T-Mobile.

Super Contributor

I will look forward to reviewing this phone when it arrives!

Meanwhile, for your viewing pleasure, a YouTube video showing why we all love Tracfone so very much. Very funny - I stole it from Howard Forums:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1867558-You-know-how-Tracfone-keeps-giving-away-extra-air...

(Mods - forgive the link, but do look at it before you poof it. I think it will make you laugh too...)

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

It's strange it shows it will work in my zip code which always shows it will not work on a CDMA phone. All our Tracfone's have been GSM. We use AT&T. As far as I know CDMA phones use Verizon or Sprint. GSM phones have service with AT&T or T-Mobile.

@Nightowlz

Tracfone uses both GSM and CDMA coverage according to their website. It says they use AT&T cell towers for their GSM coverage. For CDMA coverage it says they use Verizon towers. I went to "tracfonereviewer" and it shows this info and lots more.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Nightowlz

Tracfone uses both GSM and CDMA coverage according to their website. It says they use AT&T cell towers for their GSM coverage. For CDMA coverage it says they use Verizon towers. I went to "tracfonereviewer" and it shows this info and lots more.

hckynut(john)

I know that. It's just that they say our area is AT&T & we have to buy GSM phones. It always shows CDMA will not work in our area. If the TSV is CDMA was just wondering why all the sudden it will work in my area. I thought maybe Q had the wrong zip code finder listed for the upcoming TSV LG Premier. I know some say Verizon will work in our area but the zip code finder always says NO except this time.

From what I read since AT&T is our carrier if we buy a cell phone where Verizon is the carrier it would be up to AT&T if they wanted to let that phone (CDMA) work in my area or not.

Also GSM phones are unlocked & CDMA are not.

Plus GSM phones will work if you are traveling to other countries. CDMA is not a good option for that.

Honored Contributor

@SchippyLuv wrote:

Hi @hckynut - never mind - I just purchased it. I'll take my chances. My CandyCrush game keeps crashing and I just can't stand it anymore.

Thanks for your help...

@SchippyLuv Wow I would sure hate to play Candy Crush on my cell phone. I have been playing on my iPad for several years.

What level or number game are you on? I'm stuck on 1502 & have not been able to get past it yet. I'm getting sick of playing the same game over & over. It's time for them to let me win. LOL!!!