Esteemed Contributor

Re: LED vs. Smart TV's

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I was streaming with only 3mbps DSL for years, so it can be done, and I never had problems with it.  was it full 1080p material u were streaming? a lot of high def is only 720p/1080i.

Now I have 24mbps and I don't notice ANY difference with streaming, using my same wireless network.  you might notice a difference  depending on your answerto my question above.

I'm getting ready to leave Uverse and change my internet to Charter.  They have considerably faster, but I don't care about the speed at this point.  The (up to) 24mbps is plenty fast enough to do anything I do.  I just worry about stability and range.  Hopefully, the stability and range will be better than Uverse has been. range could depend on age of your router, also how many wi-fi devices are using the router. some newer AC routers use 2 band frequencies/2.4 and 5.0.  most N routers use only the 2.4.

I swear, I had better range and stability with my old 3mbps DSL than with the much faster Uverse.   read my above. i will never sign with a company where i can't buy my own wi-fi equipment.

@chickenbutt

hnj

News about the TWC-Charter cable Merger. http://thehill.com/policy/technology/279420-fcc-order-offers-merger-details-on-charter-time-warner-c...

CB, most people who buy a cable modem, and a Wireless router, subscribe to Double Play service.  You should ask,Charter, which product is best from the approved list. http://www.charter.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/

I brought a new wireless router last year, because the old one would not handle all my devices. The Netgear R7000 works fine for me.

Honored Contributor

Hi Nutmeg!   I don't know what 'double play' is yet.  I'm still with ATT Uverse for my internet.  Charter is my cable co and I am seriously contemplating changing my internet to them.   I have that page saved.  Thanks!   

It's Uverse who makes you rent the modem/router.  Of course, they don't tell you that until they are setting you up.  Before, I had ATT DSL for years and bought my own.  

I have a list of questions to ask Charter before changing and equipment is one of them.

The thing about a merger is seriously troubling, as I've heard so many complaints about TWC for so many years now.  Maybe I'll hang loose with changing my internet and landline to Charter.   

Does everything have to change all the time?  argh!   I guess I'm turning into that 'get off my lawn' old man.  hehe  

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hi Nutmeg!   I don't know what 'double play' is yet.  I'm still with ATT Uverse for my internet.  Charter is my cable co and I am seriously contemplating changing my internet to them.   I have that page saved.  Thanks!   

It's Uverse who makes you rent the modem/router.  Of course, they don't tell you that until they are setting you up.  Before, I had ATT DSL for years and bought my own.  

I have a list of questions to ask Charter before changing and equipment is one of them.

The thing about a merger is seriously troubling, as I've heard so many complaints about TWC for so many years now.  Maybe I'll hang loose with changing my internet and landline to Charter.   

Does everything have to change all the time?  argh!   I guess I'm turning into that 'get off my lawn' old man.  hehe  

Double play is just another word for an TV internet bundle.

Honored Contributor

Ahh, thanks, Nutmeg! Smiley Happy

Charter has been pretty good for tv cable over the many years we've had them.   Outages are so few and far between that I can only remember one in the last couple of years.

For this reason, and I'm just about completely over ATT's nonsense, I am considering also putting my internet and landline with Charter.

From what I read about what others pay for cable tv, it sounds like Charter isn't that bad at all.  We pay, including taxes and such, $144 a month for ALL the channels, Premium Channels, etc, and it's all HD now except for the channels that don't have an HD version.   

I hope that this Charter/TWC thing is not TWC taking over Charter, though.  That concerns me.  But if it's Charter absorbing TWC, I would feel much more comfortable.   Always stuff to think about, eh?  *sigh*

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I have a question...If you use Roku, tivo, etc to watch tv, I assume that you still need a cable provider, right? If not how do you get the signal?

Is there somewhere that I can read on how to set up these devices?

My Time Warner cable bill is $100, we do not subscribe to any extra sport channels, or movie channels. We do get the high definition channels and we have two boxes that we pay about $12.00 a month/each.   I think we pay way to much, but I could be wrong.  thanks.

You need high speed cable internet service to use either a smart TV, Apple TV, Roku, etc. and watch TV. 

I'm one of the few, from what I read, who has a smart TV.  Everything people are posting are the same old arguments they use to say about having an all-in-one or notebook computer.  You can't update and if it fails, you have to buy new.  They act like people keep TVs or computers for 20 years or longer. 

Most new TV are smart TVs because that is what people want.  They want to connect to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV and not have to mess the an external device.  I just got a message today to update my Sony smart TV and I did.  They do have means to update and not become obsolete.  Don't be swayed to not buy a smarrt TV because of what is posted here. 

We also have a smart TV -4K....purchased in December 2015, we did not connect it to the internet. I would love to get our $100.00 montly cable down to a bit but I still don't understand how the whole thing works....we are going to the city tomorrow and will stop at the electronics store where we bought the TV, maybe they can enlighten us!

Respected Contributor

It's easy to connect as ong as you know the name and security number for your router.  You go through the menu located on the TVs remote.  You also use the remote to access the internet and connect to NetFlix, Amazon, or other streaming stations.  I'm sure you can find more specific instruction for your TV doing a Google search. 

Honored Contributor

Re: LED vs. Smart TV's

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt or anyone who has the Tivo Bolt, did you install your cable card before or after you set it up?  I'm afraid I won't be able to get to the place to put the card in after I've set it up.  The instructions seem to say to do it at the end.

My new TV is going to be delivered this afternoon, so I've been looking over the Bolt.

EDITED TO SAY:  Never mind.  I found some other instructions that showed inserting the cable card first, so I've done that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I did all the Tivo set up stuff first, just to get it operational and make sure it works right.   Another thing I love about this is that you don't have to have that stupid wireless adapter.  It will find your network and you just punch in your network passcode and let it rip.

Then I put in the cable card.   That door was kind of weird but once you stop being afraid you'll break it, you can get the door open on the bottom.  

Then I forgot to hook up the tuning adapter. Oops!  You may not have one of these but if you do, just plug it into the top USB port on the back of the Bolt.  (not all cable companies require the tuning adapter but if you had to have it with your Premiere, you'll need it with the Bolt.  If not, then you'll continue not to need one)

Then I called my cable company to get the cable card paired to the new Tivo.   Unfortunately, I talked to people who didn't know what they were doing and ended up being the one who figured it out and told THEM what info to input and such.  yikes!  

I've found that since Tivos have used CableCARDs the first question I ask when I get somebody at the cable co is if they know about cable cards.  It saves time.

Also, as to doing all that and accessing the bottom and back - What I did was to get mine hooked up OUTSIDE of the shelf where I was going to put it, then I just slid it in through the back of the shelf after everything was 'in'.   I don't know what your set up is, but that's what I find to be the easiest, especially since the cable card goes into the bottom of this one.

Hope it goes smoothly.  Really, the only part that is a bit of a pain is having to call the cable co and get the card paired to the new unit.  The set up of the box through Tivo and all that was totally easy.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @chickenbutt.  This is going to be a real pain.  I called Comcast, and they activated my cable card.  Then I tried to activate my Tivo, and it says it's already activated.  It's not showing in my account, though, so I'll have to call them.  I need to call them anyway to cancel the old Tivo.  It was even hard to find the telphone # to call on the Tivo website.

I've tried to setup my Tivo, and it says there's a network setup problem.  My DVR was unable to connect to the DHCP server to obtain a network address.  It says to try rebooting my router, but I don't know how to do that.  :::sigh:::  I'm not very technically inclined.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

1)   If you didn't purchase the Tivo through the Tivo website it might just take a bit to be able to see it on tivoonline.  Sometimes their website takes a little bit to update things so that you can see them.

2)  To restart your router just unplug the electrical cord from the back of it for a few seconds and plug it back in.   As soon as it's all booted up, hopefully, the Tivo should recognize your network.