Honored Contributor

I have a question...If you use Roku, tivo, etc to watch tv, I assume that you still need a cable provider, right? If not how do you get the signal?

Is there somewhere that I can read on how to set up these devices?

My Time Warner cable bill is $100, we do not subscribe to any extra sport channels, or movie channels. We do get the high definition channels and we have two boxes that we pay about $12.00 a month/each.   I think we pay way to much, but I could be wrong.  thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: LED vs. Smart TV's

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I have a question...If you use Roku, tivo, etc to watch tv, I assume that you still need a cable provider, right? If not how do you get the signal?

My Time Warner cable bill is $100, we do not subscribe to any extra sport channels, or movie channels. We do get the high definition channels and we have two boxes that we pay about $12.00 a month/each.   I think we pay way to much, but I could be wrong.  thanks.

most, if not all, HDMI plugins work via your wi-fi network. if you have a router wi-fi network you do not need any cable company plugin. most of the content is "streamed" to your tv set via your wi-fi.   you do not need a cable provider. you DO need to have a wi-fi network.

i don't use any of these devices so i can't say i am 100% right on this, but i do know i do not need any cable cimpany to be able to "stream" movies or tv shows using my Netflix or Amazon Prime.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut..thanks.  I understand what you are saying I just need to figure out how to do it.  I'd love to cut down on the cable bill.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

You need high speed cable internet service to use either a smart TV, Apple TV, Roku, etc. and watch TV. 

I'm one of the few, from what I read, who has a smart TV.  Everything people are posting are the same old arguments they use to say about having an all-in-one or notebook computer.  You can't update and if it fails, you have to buy new.  They act like people keep TVs or computers for 20 years or longer. 

Most new TV are smart TVs because that is what people want.  They want to connect to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV and not have to mess the an external device.  I just got a message today to update my Sony smart TV and I did.  They do have means to update and not become obsolete.  Don't be swayed to not buy a smarrt TV because of what is posted here. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@hckynut..thanks.  I understand what you are saying I just need to figure out how to do it.  I'd love to cut down on the cable bill.

you are welcome. you might try the Roku website or the Fire Stick(not sure of name) website and see if the have info to help you.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

You need high speed cable internet service to use either a smart TV, Apple TV, Roku, etc. and watch TV. 

I'm one of the few, from what I read, who has a smart TV.  Everything people are posting are the same old arguments they use to say about having an all-in-one or notebook computer.  You can't update and if it fails, you have to buy new.  They act like people keep TVs or computers for 20 years or longer. 

Most new TV are smart TVs because that is what people want.  They want to connect to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV and not have to mess the an external device.  I just got a message today to update my Sony smart TV and I did.  They do have means to update and not become obsolete.  Don't be swayed to not buy a smarrt TV because of what is posted here. 

i have a 4k smart TV with most the whistles, so I will leave that part alone.

Cable is not the only high speed internet available. Most cities have DSL only, which is available to customers without needing a TV contract, just being their Broadband ISP. 

I have the fastest Broadband available to our home, 15mbps, and it streams 1080p and even 4k just fine, no buffering.

Cable is not necessary, only a Broadband network, to Stream any app, including Netflix.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Are you sure you only have 15 mbps? Maybe you mean that's your upload and not your download speed. I'm in a teeny town but we do have broadband cable and I'm at 100 mbps and I'm not not even on the highest speed. I could go up to 200 mbps for another 10 dollars and even gigabit ethernet is available by my provider ( 1000 mbps). 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

Are you sure you only have 15 mbps? Maybe you mean that's your upload and not your download speed. I'm in a teeny town but we do have broadband cable and I'm at 100 mbps and I'm not not even on the highest speed. I could go up to 200 mbps for another 10 dollars and even gigabit ethernet is available by my provider ( 1000 mbps). 

We had 1.5mbps download speed for years. Then 5mbps download speed became available, had that for a few more years. Then my present 12mbps became available, but my download speed checks show closer to 15mbps.

For streaming 4k Netflix recommends a minimum of 25mbps. No buffering on any 4k content I have watched on our new TV set. Sure, would love to have higher download, but this is the only Broadband available in our area. Had "dial-up" for first few years we lived here, and going from unlimited download and upload cable speeds? Like going back to horse and buggy days.

Had satellite internet for a couple years back when it had ONLY faster download speed(which could not even be measured), like going to h**l for Internet latency/plng and download speeds.

Lucky you having 1g available, not as fortunate here.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I was streaming with only 3mbps DSL for years, so it can be done, and I never had problems with it.

Now I have 24mbps and I don't notice ANY difference with streaming, using my same wireless network.

I'm getting ready to leave Uverse and change my internet to Charter.  They have considerably faster, but I don't care about the speed at this point.  The (up to) 24mbps is plenty fast enough to do anything I do.  I just worry about stability and range.  Hopefully, the stability and range will be better than Uverse has been.

I swear, I had better range and stability with my old 3mbps DSL than with the much faster Uverse.   Plus, they make you rent their craptacular router/modem.   Worse equipment ever!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

I was streaming with only 3mbps DSL for years, so it can be done, and I never had problems with it.  was it full 1080p material u were streaming? a lot of high def is only 720p/1080i.

Now I have 24mbps and I don't notice ANY difference with streaming, using my same wireless network.  you might notice a difference  depending on your answerto my question above.

I'm getting ready to leave Uverse and change my internet to Charter.  They have considerably faster, but I don't care about the speed at this point.  The (up to) 24mbps is plenty fast enough to do anything I do.  I just worry about stability and range.  Hopefully, the stability and range will be better than Uverse has been. range could depend on age of your router, also how many wi-fi devices are using the router. some newer AC routers use 2 band frequencies/2.4 and 5.0.  most N routers use only the 2.4.

I swear, I had better range and stability with my old 3mbps DSL than with the much faster Uverse.   read my above. i will never sign with a company where i can't buy my own wi-fi equipment.

@chickenbutt

hnj

hckynut(john)