Respected Contributor

Kindle Paperwrite vs Nook Glowlight Plus

[ Edited ]

I recently purchased the newest version  of both items and thought I post  about  it in case anyone is wondering  which one to get.

Honestly, they both have the same features  prettymuch  except the kindle has the xray feature but Nook has notes, highlights, dictionary, social network sharing ...etc  just like the Kindle. . If I choose one over the other  I will not miss anything feature wise.  

I know the Kindle is overwhelmingly the most popular choice but I must say I like the Nook Glowlight Plus much better.  Both items are about the same size and shape but the Nook is much more stylish  and attractive to the eye.  You also have more accessories to choose from  such as many covers  when  I believe Amazon only offers one cover style for the Kindle.

Another plus is the "lighting"  is much better on the Nook. It is more crisp ans clear  and more brighter uniformly than the Kindle and is just better reading.  The display, settings and arrangement  of words are more professional looking.  

The one thing the kindle is better at is response time. The kindle is faster  booting up  but over all I am loving the Nook  and I prefer it over the Kindle

Honored Contributor

Re: Kindle Paperwrite vs Nook Glowlight Plus

@kcladyzThanks for the good comparison.  Not many people who review have both new at the same time to do your comparison.

Super Contributor

Thanks for this!  I've been contemplating getting a new Nook and this is helpful.

Trusted Contributor

What about book selection & prices? I've had Kindles since Day 1 & I've had every version. Really like my Voyage- but have looked at the Nooks & I am intrigued. Do they have free books like Amazon does? And I get the majority of my Kindle books free from a couple of online libraries. Would these work on a Nook too? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tribesters wrote:

What about book selection & prices? I've had Kindles since Day 1 & I've had every version. Really like my Voyage- but have looked at the Nooks & I am intrigued. Do they have free books like Amazon does? And I get the majority of my Kindle books free from a couple of online libraries. Would these work on a Nook too? 

Yes, the answers to your questions would be important since I get a lot of free books through my Amazon Prime.  I don't think you can get those books with a Nook.  That would be a deciding factor for me.

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I recently purchased the newest version  of both items and thought I post  about  it in case anyone is wondering  which one to get.

Honestly, they both have the same features  prettymuch  except the kindle has the xray feature but Nook has notes, highlights, dictionary, social network sharing ...etc  just like the Kindle. . If I choose one over the other  I will not miss anything feature wise.  

I know the Kindle is overwhelmingly the most popular choice but I must say I like the Nook Glowlight Plus much better.  Both items are about the same size and shape but the Nook is much more stylish  and attractive to the eye.  You also have more accessories to choose from  such as many covers  when  I believe Amazon only offers one cover style for the Kindle.

Another plus is the "lighting"  is much better on the Nook. It is more crisp ans clear  and more brighter uniformly than the Kindle and is just better reading.  The display, settings and arrangement  of words are more professional looking.  

The one thing the kindle is better at is response time. The kindle is faster  booting up  but over all I am loving the Nook  and I prefer it over the Kindle

While Amazon itself only makes one case in multiple solid colors for the Kindle Paperwhite, they also carry the Fintie Kindle Paperwhite SmartShell Case, which comes in 45 different colors and prints. I have one for my Voyage and love it. I have the more expensive Amazon case for my Paperwhite and find them to be comparable in terms of protection. Both cases have the magnetic closure and the auto-sleep/wake feature, which I love.

Trusted Contributor

This is an awesome thread and I think it will be helpful to people who are interested in these products.  I'm also a big fan of side by side comparisons.    

I received a Nook Simple Touch years ago as a gift.  It was my first e-reader and I loved it!  When the Nook with Glowlight came out I was very interested, but my Nook was still new at the point and I couldn't justify the purchase.  

As time went on, I would check the reviews of the Nook with Glowlight and I kept seeing the same complaint over and over again...there seemed to be a tear in the screen underneath and the light would shine through.  

Last year I decided I wanted a Kindle Paperwhite, the current generation that was released in June 2015.  I knew sometimes they go on sale and I hate paying full price for anything, so I waited until Black Friday and made the leap.  I used my credit card points and owed nothing.  It was pretty exciting.  Smiley Happy

So, I now own my first Kindle Paperwhite.  I LOVE the backlight feature.  I love reading in bed at night with the lights out and I found that book lights were too bright.  I also like that I can transfer books over Wi-fi from my library to my Kindle.  I needed to plug my Nook into my computer to do that.  

The Kindle is not perfect for me, however.  I prefer the design and interface of the Nook.  I like the physical page turn buttons (I assume they still have those??) located on either side.  I tend to read on my side and my fingers just don't line up properly to hit the next page on the Kindle.  I seem to hit the upper part of the page and get a menu instead of a page turn.  It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

One other reason I chose the Kindle Paperwhite over the Nook with Glowlight was the company itself.  Amazon is a financially stable company and I don't feel the same way about B&N, unfortunately.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

I believe they do have free books. i really have not compared book prices but they appear to be prettymuch the same

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stargazer77 wrote:

This is an awesome thread and I think it will be helpful to people who are interested in these products.  I'm also a big fan of side by side comparisons.    

I received a Nook Simple Touch years ago as a gift.  It was my first e-reader and I loved it!  When the Nook with Glowlight came out I was very interested, but my Nook was still new at the point and I couldn't justify the purchase.  

As time went on, I would check the reviews of the Nook with Glowlight and I kept seeing the same complaint over and over again...there seemed to be a tear in the screen underneath and the light would shine through.  

Last year I decided I wanted a Kindle Paperwhite, the current generation that was released in June 2015.  I knew sometimes they go on sale and I hate paying full price for anything, so I waited until Black Friday and made the leap.  I used my credit card points and owed nothing.  It was pretty exciting.  Smiley Happy

So, I now own my first Kindle Paperwhite.  I LOVE the backlight feature.  I love reading in bed at night with the lights out and I found that book lights were too bright.  I also like that I can transfer books over Wi-fi from my library to my Kindle.  I needed to plug my Nook into my computer to do that.  

The Kindle is not perfect for me, however.  I prefer the design and interface of the Nook.  I like the physical page turn buttons (I assume they still have those??) located on either side.  I tend to read on my side and my fingers just don't line up properly to hit the next page on the Kindle.  I seem to hit the upper part of the page and get a menu instead of a page turn.  It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

One other reason I chose the Kindle Paperwhite over the Nook with Glowlight was the company itself.  Amazon is a financially stable company and I don't feel the same way about B&N, unfortunately.

Nope. No page buttons but it has a home button on the front  vs kindle just has the home icon on the screen. The home button on the nook  is the "N"  it does not look like a button but is touch sensitive and takes you to the home screen. 

The Glowlight "plus"  is totally different than the origional glowlight and when i viewed kindle and  nook side by side the screen looked really good on the nook. the nook feels lighter and looks slimmer

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kcladyz wrote:

Nope. No page buttons but it has a home button on the front  vs kindle just has the home icon on the screen. The home button on the nook  is the "N"  it does not look like a button but is touch sensitive and takes you to the home screen. 

The Glowlight "plus"  is totally different than the origional glowlight and when i viewed kindle and  nook side by side the screen looked really good on the nook. the nook feels lighter and looks slimmer

I wonder if the tearing in the screen is still a complaint from people.  It sounds like it underwent a big design change compared to previous generations.  I hope you'll update the board if you have any issues with your Nook.  Happy reading! 

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*