Respected Contributor

@Kleo wrote:

I think it will be great for someone who wants to read books but not for what I wnat it for.  

You should have stayed with an Android device.  There is nothing wrong with the Fire and it can be used for more than reading books. 

Super Contributor

Yes, probably nothing wrong with the Fire.  I just had difficulty syncing it with my google apps I've grown fond of!  I'll keep looking for something more suitable for my needs.

Respected Contributor

@Kleo wrote:

Yes, probably nothing wrong with the Fire.  I just had difficulty syncing it with my google apps I've grown fond of!  I'll keep looking for something more suitable for my needs.

What I don't understand is why you need so many devices? 

Super Contributor

gib613 - Really not your concern why I need or want as many devices as I can pay for!  That didn't factor into my original question.

Books, yes! Am I crazy , but thought I heard on the TSZ day that there was a 3 month 'free' download of books for this tsv? Got mine today, tyring to figure it out.

any help --greatly appreciated! thanks!

Respected Contributor

@Kleo wrote:

gib613 - Really not your concern why I need or want as many devices as I can pay for!  That didn't factor into my original question.

When you post on a public message, you make it everyone's concern. There is nothing wrong with the device.  You made the wrong choice. 

Esteemed Contributor

The tsp probably included a trial membership to Kindle Unlimited.

Honored Contributor

@Kleo wrote:

Got this today and already perplexed and wondering if it's for me!  Is it just to buy from Amazon?  I wanted it to take with me so I could view my "Google" calendar, read emails.  I tried to download the calendar from Google play store but it doesn't look the same as it does on my cell phones, computer!  I also wanted to get rid of all the icons cluttering up the screens!  It didn't come with any booklet and maybe no many need one!  It looks like an Amazon monopoly!

My goodness, we didn't do any reading up on Kindle Fires before we hit "Buy", did we? No reviews, no comments from purchasers or tech websites. 

YES, Fire tablets are created to facilitate spending money with Amazon on Amazon products - books, games and videos. Every professional review I have ever seen mentions this, and most user reviews.  Also mentioned in every professional review is the fact that Fires do not hook up with pure Android Google Playstore apps, but *their own Android version* of these apps.

You certainly can use a Fire as tablet to do what everyone uses tablets for. You can even get the Google Playstore on it and download Google apps, with some effort if there are some you MUST have.

If you bought solely based on what QVC hosts said...uh-oh. I do NOT rely on QVC to disclose full and complete information on products they sell. I see what the opinion is on outside websites, always.

Fires are great tablets when you buy them for what they were designed to do.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Re: Kindle FIre

[ Edited ]

I've had my Kindle Fire since last Christmas.  Love it.  One of things I really liked was that when we travel to foreign countries, I can be sure I am on Wifi - because it won't work otherwise (no data plan).  Using my iphone, I always have to be careful that it doesn't decide the wifi isn't strong enough and switch to data.

As to the calendar, I downloaded CALDAV (from itunes) and it synced my iphone claendar without any problems.

If you have Prime, there are lots of movies you can download for free - and once downloaded, you can watch without wifi - as in on a plane or wherever.

Good luck.  I think if you play with it awhile, you will love it.

New Contributor

Can anyone tell me if the 7" Kindles that are being sold by QVC now can be read at the beach or in very bright light?  The older models could not be read at the beach.  It never seemed to be able to brignten the screen bright enough to read it and the glossy screen was a cause too because of reflection in bright light.