Respected Contributor

Re: It happened again yesterday

@LilacTree wrote:

Just a heads up.  I had to uninstall Avast because it changed all of my settings.  Since the WannaCry malware was deleted, I decided to stick with Kaspersky and reinstalled it (to a newer version).  I didn't feel comfortable trying to repair all of the changed settings, so I called Kaspersky and they did it for me.  They will keep the remote line open for three days to make sure it's 100%.  That's pretty good service and I gave the tech a "10."

I will also reinstall Malwarebytes tomorrow.  Too tired now, long day.

I just finished a backup of what is now a completely clean system and am sighing in relief.

I used Malwarebytes for years and it never changed any of my settings.  I had the paid version and it was installed on both of my Windows computers.  I don't use it now since I switched to Apple. 

Honored Contributor

Re: It happened again yesterday

@glb613 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

Just a heads up.  I had to uninstall Avast because it changed all of my settings.  Since the WannaCry malware was deleted, I decided to stick with Kaspersky and reinstalled it (to a newer version).  I didn't feel comfortable trying to repair all of the changed settings, so I called Kaspersky and they did it for me.  They will keep the remote line open for three days to make sure it's 100%.  That's pretty good service and I gave the tech a "10."

I will also reinstall Malwarebytes tomorrow.  Too tired now, long day.

I just finished a backup of what is now a completely clean system and am sighing in relief.

I used Malwarebytes for years and it never changed any of my settings.  I had the paid version and it was installed on both of my Windows computers.  I don't use it now since I switched to Apple. 

@glb613

I also bought the paid version, almost $40.  I can't get that back.  How my settings got changed, I'm assuming it was Avast.  However, it could have been something else.  All I really care about is my computer is fixed.  I'm still running Windows 7.  That will probably change next year when Microsoft stops supporting the program and the IE browser. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986