Honored Contributor

Today the track pad on my MacBook air quit working so I plugged in a mouse so that I could work.

I use the MacBook for texting, email for customers and receiving and sending proofs of work that I do for clinets....that is it.

I spoke with the Mac Store where we have purchased all our computer equipement....I asked about purchasing an IPad vs a MacBook and he thinks it (Ipad) would work for my needs.  I have two desktop IMac's --one at work one at home so I do not need another large computer.

The Ipad does an a keyboard, correct....if anyone is familar with both machines...can you give me some feedback?

thanks!

Honored Contributor

I'm not familiar with the MacBook, so maybe I shouldn't even reply to you about this.  But I got fed up with Windows some time ago and ditched my laptop for an IPad.  I don't use a computer at all anymore.  Granted, I don't use many of the features a computer has, though.  Mostly internet (email, news info, shopping).  I don't even use many features of the iPad either.  

The ipad has a built-in on-screen keyboard, which took me a little while to get used to.  But you can also get a separate keyboard which works off Bluetooth if you want a 'real' keyboard.  I have one that I used for a while but now I usually just use the iPad keyboard.

Texting and email are no problem with an iPad, but I can't speak about the proofs for your clients that you speak of since I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette...the files that I send to clients are pdf's...I set up form work, brochures, etc. and then turn the file into a PDF so that the customer can view the job on their computer, thanks for your input!

Respected Contributor

I've had two iPads and didn't like them.   I hated the keyboard so I bought a 'normal' external keyboard and liked that.   It got to where I hated the tap, tap, tapping involved with the iPad.   So, I sold it and got a macbook air, 11".

I like it much much better.   I have an iPhone 6+ and I use it for games, weather,photos,  facebook, etc.    If I have to type anything more than a few words (texting, email etc) I use my mac air.   I also use it for web stuff,  google .....

I need to take a class because two years in I still dont know more than the basics.   I'm still a PC girl and if I had it to do over , I'd get a PC laptop like the Surface .    

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Today the track pad on my MacBook air quit working so I plugged in a mouse so that I could work.

I use the MacBook for texting, email for customers and receiving and sending proofs of work that I do for clinets....that is it.

I spoke with the Mac Store where we have purchased all our computer equipement....I asked about purchasing an IPad vs a MacBook and he thinks it (Ipad) would work for my needs.  I have two desktop IMac's --one at work one at home so I do not need another large computer.

The Ipad does an a keyboard, correct....if anyone is familar with both machines...can you give me some feedback?

thanks!

YOu can use a bluetooth keyboard with ipad. I have with mine. I'm pretty sure you can also use the mac trackpad with ipad, although I haven't personally. Ipad doesn't come with a separate keyboard. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

You can get the key pad replaced I had it done on mine it got wet, I have worked on Macs for years and do not think that an Ipad will ever replace a MacBook.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Had my MacAir keyboard replaced too and it wasn't terribly expensive.  Turns out Macs are lactose intolerant. . . who knew?  Woman Embarassed

I would never give up the Air for an IPad.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Ipad vs MacBook Air

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

thanks!

I have an iPad that sits unused.  I have it in a Zagg case which includes a Bluetooth keyboard I like using much better than the onscreen keyboard.  I've given it some thought lately as to why I don't like the iPad as much as my iMac or Macbook Pro and have come to the conclusion it's the mobile version of websites.  The mobile versions of websites or the companies' apps are a scaled down versions to decrease data use.  While I understand why, I don't like it.  I want to see on my iPad the same web page I see when I use a computer.  So for now, I use it as an entertainment device and when I travel. 

If my iPad dies or becomes obsolete, I'll get a 11 inch Macbook air.  It's portable and performs like a full size computer.  I'd suggest you look into a small Macbook.  It's only slightly bigger than an iPad and functions like a regular computer. 

Honored Contributor

We had the guts in our older MacBook Pro replaced because DH loves it. 

It's working fine again.

Myself, I can't wait until the new iPads come out. The 10+" Pro is calling my name.

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, since I bought my MacBook Pro, I use it much more than ipad as well.  If I replace ipad, it will be for a mini for travel.  LM