Super Contributor

My friend thinks there is a "device" that can plug into the charging hole of an IPhone for the purpose of downloading the phone's pictures in order to save them on it. 

Questions.....do you know of such a device AND, if so, what is it called AND where is the best place to purchase it AND approximate cost. Any other info about it would be appreciated. 

TIA,

Demitra

Honored Contributor

I download mine to my computer, I wondr if you could cable the phone to a flash drive, but this would not be a "direct" transfer

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: IPhone pictures

[ Edited ]

Mine automatically sync to my desktop Photos app anytime they are connected to my wifi network ( so basically anytime I'm at home) and back up in the Cloud and with Time Machine to my external backup drive. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

iPhone USB drive. SanDisk makes one called the iXpand, but there are others available. It's a portable USB drive with a Lightning connector that you use to attach it to the phone. I don't have time to comparison shop for you, but that should get you started.

If you have an actual computer, it's easier to connect the phone to the computer and copy the photos from the phone hard drive to the computer's hard drive and store the photos there.

Honored Contributor

There are various models on Amazon dot that range from 50 up 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Demitra1 wrote:

My friend thinks there is a "device" that can plug into the charging hole of an IPhone for the purpose of downloading the phone's pictures in order to save them on it. 

Questions.....do you know of such a device AND, if so, what is it called AND where is the best place to purchase it AND approximate cost. Any other info about it would be appreciated. 

TIA,

Demitra

there is and one was sold here

I use photostream to get them on my hard drive,

you can also plug your phone in transfer them that way.

hit the google and find out more, not gonna link it

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

iPhone USB drive. SanDisk makes one called the iXpand, but there are others available. It's a portable USB drive with a Lightning connector that you use to attach it to the phone. I don't have time to comparison shop for you, but that should get you started.

If you have an actual computer, it's easier to connect the phone to the computer and copy the photos from the phone hard drive to the computer's hard drive and store the photos there.

This ^^^ 

And there is also a device Apple sells, either with the lightning plug or the 30-pin plug, that has an SD card reader on the other end. Take the card out of the camera, put it in the reader with the other end plugged into the iPhone/Pad and the photos transfer in seconds. $30 on the Apple site or anywhere that sells iPad/iPhone accessories.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

When I travel, I take my iPad with me so I can transfer a copy of my photos at the end of each day.  You never know when a camera/phone can fail (it happened to a friend of mine) or get lost or stolen and your photos are gone.  If you have cloud storage, be sure to upload everyday. 

I transfer my photos to my computer whenever I take them.  It use to happen over my wireless network (iPhone to iMac) but for some reason, it stopped.  Since my charging cord is handy, I haven't taken the time to figure out why. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: IPhone pictures

[ Edited ]

I have the accessory that you can put your SD card into..then it will transfer the pics you want to your iPad or iPad mini and the iPhone and iPod ..the phone and pod need at least ios 9.2...it connects to your device and you use it through the photo app...works fast and easy...I've had it for maybe three years (give or take) and use it constantly...

Its called the

Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader

I bought mine at the Walmart....it was I think 26 dollars at the time...

When I bought mine it could only read up to a 32gb card and would only work in a device that had at least that much memory...would not work in a 16gb ....they might have changed it since I bought mine...If you go to the Apple site it will tell you what devices it will work in...DW