Esteemed Contributor

IPhone help please -- Sim cards

I think I will make a trip to the Apple Store locally but wondered if anyone could give me any info here first.

I am Canadian and will be traveling to Maine/New Hampshire area soon.  I have an unlocked iPhone 6+.  This is my first smart phone.  I will be in the U.S. For 4-5 days.  I am aware that I can get a U.S. SIM card for my phone and replace the current one to avoid roaming charges, etc.

Can anyone tell me who has the best coverage.  Who should I absolutely avoid?  I am looking to use the phone, text a bit and have data.  I am not a heavy user of any one of these features.  Where should I go to buy the U.S. SIM card?  Can I reuse it next trip or do I have to buy another one?

Newbie here.  Any advice greatly appreciated.  TIA.  LM

Respected Contributor

Re: IPhone help please -- Sim cards

I use AT&T.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have Verizon. VZW has a larger network. It depends where you are traveling which network works best. It does depend which network your phone runs with GSM ( ATT) or CDMA(VZW). Please go to Apple and ask for help.

Valued Contributor

Verizon--but do as nutmeg3 posted.  Visit Apple and you can always check out the websites of each carrier.  HTH

Respected Contributor

Why don't you get an international plan?  That's what I do when I travel. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning all. Thanks for the feedback and info.  Here is what I have learned.  Verizon and AT&T are the biggest, most coverage, least dropped calls, zones, etc.  Sprint lags behind the top 2 but is less expensive.  T-Mobile ranks after these three and there are complaints about poor coverage and dropped calls.

I can buy a SIM card just about anywhere as was pointed out ... Best Buy, Walmart, Kiosks, etc.  My phone can run with GSM or CDMA.  I should pop my SIM card out before I cross the border and substitute a US one.

I chatted online with Apple and have an appointment at the Apple Store Monday.

I have to check what type of plan.  Don't know what to do there yet.  Some have recommended a look at straight talk.  I don't think I need an international plan as I don't intend to travel beyond North America but will check that out also.

If you can think of anything else I should know, I would appreciate it.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seems like a lot of hassle for only a 4 day trip. I'd just switch to an international plan on my current carrier for that one month and be done with it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

Seems like a lot of hassle for only a 4 day trip. I'd just switch to an international plan on my current carrier for that one month and be done with it. 

@jaxs mom, I may do that.  The kiosk for my carrier is next to the Apple Store.  I'm investigating both options.  A first time experience for me.  Whatever is the least complicated I will choose.  If I can reuse the SIM card, I may opt for that as I make 2-3 trips a year.  If not, I may simply use my carrier.  LM

Frequent Contributor

I've traveled from the U.S. To Europe several times. Each time I tossed around the idea to either upgrade to an international plan for a month or pay per minute. Evaluate how much you'll be using your phone, especially since it's only a 4 day trip. We ended up paying per minute, since we only used our phones to call home to say we made it, a call in the middle of the trip, and one at the end of our trip. Each call was no more than 5 minutes. It was cheaper to pay per minute, rather than upgrading to an international plane for an entire month.

Esteemed Contributor

@enw5002, good point.  I think my data use would be higher than my phone use.  Thanks for,the input.  LM