Super Contributor

My IPad is acting very sluggish and jumpy. It has to "reload" quite often. I think it is just old. I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about it. (advice?)

i would like a new one that can get wireless internet anywhere.....kinda like my IPhone. My friend has one that she can use in her car, for example.

What is the model I'm wanting? What is the ballpark price? Where is the best place to purchase it?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Demitra

Honored Contributor

Re: IPad purchase question

[ Edited ]

My 3 1/2 year old iPad 2 is doing exactly the same thing.  I'm at my it's end.  I didn't have trouble with it until the last upgrade.  DooBdoo says I should put everything in the "cloud" and totally reset it, but I'm not confident in my ability to safely store everything.  I've got a lot of apps, photos and music, recipes, etc.  I've been using a Kindle Fire I bought last December.

Go to the Apple Store to see the new models.  That Wi-Fi is expensive to maintain.  The do have refurbished models at a nice savings.  I got sticker shock just looking at them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Dang...I have tried to post a reply twice!

first, you might "need" a new iPad as the new software updates are not supported by the iPad 2 

you  can also try doing a hard reset as that often fixes crabby iPads.

of course, clear the cache, and restart.

if you  decide to buy a new one I would use the Apple site is they are going to have the best selection. Their shipping is super fast and free. I ordered a cord on a Wednesday afternoon and it was delivered by noon the next day and I do not live in a big city.

I would also reconsider consider the need for 4G model. They are much more expensive.  I find most cafés hotels etc. have free Wi-Fi. In a pinch I can use my phone as a hotspot. Good luck! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yumagirl wrote:

Dang...I have tried to post a reply twice!

first, you might "need" a new iPad as the new software updates are not supported by the iPad 2 

you  can also try doing a hard reset as that often fixes crabby iPads.

of course, clear the cache, and restart.

if you  decide to buy a new one I would use the Apple site is they are going to have the best selection. Their shipping is super fast and free. I ordered a cord on a Wednesday afternoon and it was delivered by noon the next day and I do not live in a big city.

I would also reconsider consider the need for 4G model. They are much more expensive.  I find most cafés hotels etc. have free Wi-Fi. In a pinch I can use my phone as a hotspot. Good luck! 

I have a larger cell phone, I use it as a tablet when out of the house.

Respected Contributor

If your iPad is too old for operatiing system updates, buy new.  If you can update to the newest operating system, backup your iPad to your computer or the icloud and do a complete reset to factory conditions.  Once it has restored to factory condition, do a restore from your backup and see how it runs.  This costs nothing and may be the only thing you need to do. 

I have an iPad with the built-in cellular connection and I've never activated it.  There is free Wifi everywhere for none secure use.  It adds about $150 to the price and I'll never buy an iPad with it again. 

Honored Contributor

I have an iPad 2   it is doing OK

have you tried taking everything off that you don't use or need and backing up the stuff you need and want.  Then starting it as a new iPad?  it might work better then

Mine is wifi only so I cant really help with the other

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My 3 1/2 year old iPad 2 is doing exactly the same thing.  I'm at my it's end.  I didn't have trouble with it until the last upgrade.  DooBdoo says I should put everything in the "cloud" and totally reset it, but I'm not confident in my ability to safely store everything.  I've got a lot of apps, photos and music, recipes, etc.  I've been using a Kindle Fire I bought last December.

Go to the Apple Store to see the new models.  That Wi-Fi is expensive to maintain.  The do have refurbished models at a nice savings.  I got sticker shock just looking at them.

@Kachina624, It worries me that you don't have a good backup of your iPad.  Apart from doing a reset and restore, which can clear up all sorts of problems, any device can fail and everyone really needs a reliable, complete backup of their information.  In the other thread you mentioned scrapping the iPad and moving to another device  -- you'd still need a way to save and recover what's on the iPad.   I hope you've been syncing and backing up the device either to a computer or to iCloud.  Maybe you would feel better and more comfortable with it if you went to the Apple Store and talked with the experts there about this?  I'm not criticizing, just concerned.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@demitra wrote:

My IPad is acting very sluggish and jumpy. It has to "reload" quite often. I think it is just old. I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about it. (advice?)

i would like a new one that can get wireless internet anywhere.....kinda like my IPhone. My friend has one that she can use in her car, for example.

What is the model I'm wanting? What is the ballpark price? Where is the best place to purchase it?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Demitra

@Demitra1, I use an iPad 3 that's over 3 years old and it's been used daily and really put through the wringer, but it still works beautifully.  And I have 2 friends who still use their iPad 2 with no problems.

Have you tried all the troubleshooting steps?  Closing all apps running in the background, syncing with a computer or iCloud on a regular basis (not only assures that you have a good backup but also frees up memory), removing apps or photos you don't need,  clearing cache/data (in the Safari settings), occasionally doing a "hard reset," etc.?   Have you looked in the settings to see if you have ample memory?

If you're sure you want to move on to a newer device, I agree an Apple Store visit is a great idea.  Or, if there's not a store nearby give Apple's 800 number a call.  In either case, the representatives are not compensated to sell a product (there's no "hard sell," they don't receive any bonus or payment for "convincing" someone to buy).  Be prepared to tell them how you want to use the device and which features are the most important to you.   You'll want to decide whether the device can access cellular data or just WIFI, and they can explain that.  You even have the option of using your iPhone as a "hot spot" and connecting the iPad through that.  Too many details to list here without knowing more specifics about what you want, though.

After you decide what you want to buy, then you can start checking prices -- I'm still an advocate of buying from Apple, and they do offer a couple of discount programs and I believe they still offer an interest-free payment plan.

Do you currently have a WIFI router at your home?

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

If your iPad is too old for operatiing system updates, buy new.  If you can update to the newest operating system, backup your iPad to your computer or the icloud and do a complete reset to factory conditions.  Once it has restored to factory condition, do a restore from your backup and see how it runs.  This costs nothing and may be the only thing you need to do. 

I have an iPad with the built-in cellular connection and I've never activated it.  There is free Wifi everywhere for none secure use.  It adds about $150 to the price and I'll never buy an iPad with it again. 

Hi, @glb613!  I do the backup/erase and reset/restore fairly often and it really does help -- but I always advise folks to be sure they're confident in their backup first, and that they might even want to get an Apple expert to walk them through the process the first time so they feel more comfortable with it.  I, too, purchased the built-in cellular connection and in all these years I've never used it -- partly because I have my secure router at home.  I wouldn't buy the cellular option again.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo.  You give great advice.  There seems to be little written about how to use the "cloud", and believe me I've looked.  It's sort of a mystical, mysterious thing to us neophytes.  A friend who has had her iPad several years recently asked me if I knew anything about "that cloud thing".  We oldsters don't have the spontaneous exchange of information with our peers that youngsters do.

Do you know of a good source of information on how to get data into it and how to retrieve it?  A trip to the Apple Store might be out of the question for me as I can only stand 5 minutes max.  It's a great idea though.  I may have to go and carry a chair.

I have noticed that Apple no longer supports iPad2.  For what you pay, they ought to have free tech support forever.

I do a hard reset a least 2X a day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment