Respected Contributor

Re: I believe there's an iOS10 update from Apple sometime today......

@dooBdoo wrote:

@HULAGIRL wrote:

@HULAGIRL wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@HULAGIRL wrote:

I think I'm stumped........I tried to power off my phone right now just to see if the download really did complete and my phone won't power off....................now what??

@HULAGIRL, Press the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time and hold until you see the Apple logo.   Release them and let the phone restart.

Thanks....I'll try that!   Guess I'm starting to panic a little since so many already have finished the download............better practice what I preach......PATIENCE!

Well, I tried that......the screen went to black then popped back on with the same iTunes logo, arrow,plug picture it's had on for the past hour and a half!

This means you'll need to connect to iTunes.   When you first got your iPhone, did you use iTunes on a computer to set it up?  Normally, the simple next step in this situation is to launch iTunes on the computer, plug the iPhone into the computer, and see if the software update will restart from there.   Do you have a way of accessing iTunes on a computer (your PC, perhaps)?   I wish I were there to help!❤️

Here's an explanation:

If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

No......I didn't even touch iTunes..........believe it or not, I've never downloaded anything from iTunes......just something I don't use.   Thanks for all your help and suggestions this aftenoon......people on this board are great!!!!

Honored Contributor

I absolutely love the new features in messages. It's slightly freaky that I can send my actual heartbeat in a text message. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HULAGIRL wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@HULAGIRL wrote:

@HULAGIRL wrote:

Thanks....I'll try that!   Guess I'm starting to panic a little since so many already have finished the download............better practice what I preach......PATIENCE!

Well, I tried that......the screen went to black then popped back on with the same iTunes logo, arrow,plug picture it's had on for the past hour and a half!

This means you'll need to connect to iTunes.   When you first got your iPhone, did you use iTunes on a computer to set it up?  Normally, the simple next step in this situation is to launch iTunes on the computer, plug the iPhone into the computer, and see if the software update will restart from there.   Do you have a way of accessing iTunes on a computer (your PC, perhaps)?   I wish I were there to help!❤️

Here's an explanation:

No......I didn't even touch iTunes..........believe it or not, I've never downloaded anything from iTunes......just something I don't use.   Thanks for all your help and suggestions this aftenoon......people on this board are great!!!!

Well, I feel pretty helpless right now.    Take a look at the Apple.com info.    I think those steps are the only way to get the phone back in action...  this is the reason it's important to have an updated version of iTunes (on an Apple or a Windows computer) handy as part of support.   But if I can think of anything else I'll come back and post.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GATORGIRL wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

I like the British male Siri voice. I'm keeping him. LOL I know he isn't new but I just never bothered to download the alternate voices before. 

I wasn't even aware that Siri's voice could be changed until I read these posts!  Ha ha.  I am trying the British female voice.  I also enabled the "Hey Siri" feature.   Thanks, @jaxs mom & @Moonchilde.

@GATORGIRL, I use the Hey Siri feature all the time! It's been getting better every update. The first round, it only worked when the phone was plugged in, which was a pain.

I have an Amazon Echo and some smart lightbulbs. I have the Echo in the living room and can say, "Alexa turn on the bedroom light" and my bedroom table lamp is turned on before I get in the room. When I am ready to go to sleep, I say, "Hey, Siri, turn off the bedroom light" and Siri turns the light off.

I also use Hey Siri in the car, where my phone is docked on the dash for my GPS unit.

• Hey, Siri, text Sam  - Hit traffic - will be 5 minutes late.
  • Hey, Siri, rewind 1 minute (will rewind the Audible audio book I was listening to and missed part of because I was merging or whatever.)
  • Hey, Siri, Google search (Anything). 
  • Hey, Siri, open Waze app

I use Siri to Google search restaurants, subdivisions, anything I hear about on NPR on the way to wherever I am going. Siri will do the search and then I will tell Siri to open the GPS app again. When I get to my destination, I can open Safari and the Google search results will be there for me to look at when I'm not driving. It's great!! Siri is bad with names, though, especially non-English names. If I tell Siri to Google a German artist, a Mexican restaurant, or a store with a French name, Siri will come up with something crazy.

Of note - I can't get Hey, Siri to work when the phone is lying face down. I think it's by design, but I am not sure.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@HULAGIRL wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@HULAGIRL wrote:

@HULAGIRL wrote:

Here's an explanation:

Well, I feel pretty helpless right now.    Take a look at the Apple.com info.    I think those steps are the only way to get the phone back in action...  this is the reason it's important to have an updated version of iTunes (on an Apple or a Windows computer) handy as part of support.   But if I can think of anything else I'll come back and post.

I think @dooBdoo is right. The original few iPhone generations didn't allow you to download any updates wirelessly and you always had to connect to iTunes. Even when the later phones allowed for wireless updates, I always install major updates via iTunes after a total backup. (Only some of my things are backed up to the cloud because I have a LOT of music on my phone.)

If you've never used iTunes before, download it from Apple.com and install on your computer. Once it's downloaded and registered, plug your phone into the computer. I think the default iTunes setting is to automatically detect the phone, backup, and start the install.

If that doesn't work OR you don't have a computer with a USB port, I would recommend calling Apple support. They're really good at helping, but they may be very busy today.

I've had an install fail and it corrected itself the second time around, so I don't think you have any reason to worry. And now you know - this is why I never do major updates wirelessly and never on the first day. That's the busiest time and when you're at higher risk for mishaps because so many people excited about the new features are all hitting the server at once.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Exactly, @ChynnaBlue.   I prefer to use iTunes for updates because it's almost always faster and the process is rather seamless.   Adding iTunes should be quick and easy, and when we log into it with our Apple ID that automatically links us to our Apple account, and it recognizes the device since it's also associated.    This is the only way I know of to "wake up" the phone when it's in this status (the iTunes logo and plug icon) and using the steps in the link I provided it should easily recover the iOS.   And then, @HULAGIRL's iCloud backup will be there, if needed.   @HULAGIRL, this problem you've encountered doesn't crop up often...  I hate that you have to deal with it after you worked so hard to make sure everyone was aware of the new software.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

Thank you, @ChynnaBlue!  You have inspired me to broaden my horizons!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wanted to pop back in to mention:   this version of iOS, like so many previous ones, automatically turns Bluetooth on, and some of us like to keep it turned off for less drain on the battery and for privacy/security reasons.

Respected Contributor

Well.....I FINALLY have everything downloaded.  It locked my iPhone SE and after getting it unlocked, settings tells me it's downloaded.......I hope they don't do another major for a day or two!!   Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

Well.....I FINALLY have everything downloaded.  It locked my iPhone SE and after getting it unlocked, settings tells me it's downloaded.......I hope they don't do another major for a day or two!!   Smiley Wink

@HULAGIRL. Boy, that's good news!  I had heard that some people had trouble, so good to hear you got back on track.  How did you get your phone unlocked, or did it do it by itself?  Hope you're now able to enjoy all the new features.

I'm always leery with any of these updates, especially the major ones!