Respected Contributor

I-Pad Air2 : inept needs suggested reading suggestions!

I am abandoning my old Kindle: I have loved it, and I am on it now. For me, it was a dream come true because of the 24/7 help feature.  I am technologically inept and a confirmed techno phone, but I'm busting out!

I just bought the IPad Air 9.7" 32 GB tablet ( I don't need massive storage thanks to the magic of Clouds-I hope: I may be wrongly assuming Cloud Storage is there)Smiley Sad

I hate asking my highly computer literate family for help, so another reason I bought this is that it comes with a year of technical help.

I do find beginner's guides helpful, but there are so many to choose from.  I would like to buy a e-book edition from Amazon.....if anybody could make a suggestion, I would be grateful. I am absolutely open to any books written for seniors or those who are late bloomers.

I want to make sure I learn tricks and tips as to what I can do, and in buying cheaper tablets, I have found these little critters can be loaded with features that are not discussed on intro videos or are written on the box they come packaged in. For example, if it has voice recognition, how do I find out? The stylus is different from my rubber tipped stylus I'm using now: can I draw with it?

Hopefully, you get my drift: I am looking for suggestions on HOW to find these things out!

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: I-Pad Air2 : inept needs suggested reading suggestions!

@Poodlepet2

The narrow-tipped stylus! I'm jealous girl! You will be so much more able to draw or write in small spaces!

I don't have the name of a good reference book, but I will tell you what I have learned to do. EXPERIMENT!

You might start by doing a Google search ... perhaps "new iPad user suggestions". You will get something comprehensible with that query.

Apple likes for us to search using suggestions from others. So make sure you sign in to the Apple technical support.

Another site I trust for helpfulness is

CNET

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-first-10-things-to-do-with-your-new-ipad/

Let's page @dooBdoo and @ChynnaBlue

for helpful suggestions!

Have fun!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at Fri, Mar 17, 2017-12.17.18 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

Congratulations on ur new tablet.  Can u tell me where u bought it.  It sounds like I could use on of those. Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at Fri, Mar 17, 2017-12.17.18 PM.png

I highly recommend this.  I bought the hard copy version last year when I first delved into the tablet world from Windows.  The title is correct--this is what Apple should have included with their iPads!  It had more info for me, another technophobe, than the "Dummy" books I used to use.

Honored Contributor

Do you have an Apple store near you? My mom signed up for one of their classes where they show you how to do everything. It was a huge help as she wasn't calling me asking 50 million questions after the class. If you know the specific question you want answered then google works extremely easily for that. I can't help you with a book, I've had ipad since day one release and just used the manual and websites to learn things and then followed up with the changes to each IOS update. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Play with it! Hard to mess it up. 

I have an ipad for a long time and find lots of ideas in the Tips app that comes on the ipad. 

I find that using YouTube or just a search for what you want to do is more helpful than a book. 

Have fun with it!

Frequent Contributor

In the App Store there is a free app. 

IPad user guide for 10.2

i also second going to an  stroe if you have one nearby. They have free classes and they are great. 

Respected Contributor

@overreach, I love to learn!  I know what, for example, HTML is, but when I asked her-at the age of 7- she answered me with bored disdain! She never knew that before I got involved in hatching and raising her older brother and her, when dinosaurs walked the earth, I used punch cards and a main frame!

When we had our first PC, it took a chain of 20 lines in MS DOS to do log onto Prodigy....

When I finally had time to play with computers, I was thrilled with pull-down menus, but I got lost!

THANK, THANK YOU,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Hi Apple blossom!  I found mine on Amazon for $539 and bought a 15 dollar case. I have no idea about generations however: it said it's the newest....I don't know.  Do these things automatically update their OS??? My DH has an old one he still uses, but he is highly computer literate.  Some people sip martinis: his idea of relaxation is to crack a calculus book, or write programs....

Poodlepet2