Esteemed Contributor

run system file checker and a registry cleaner on your computer? 

I run each about once a month but am wondering if I should run them more often.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: How Often Do You

[ Edited ]

On my system there is an option to "analyze" first and then it tells me whether or not to clean or frag. Prefer to check it once a month but the last couple of times I checked it every two weeks and it told me registry frag was needed each time. I think it depends on how much is updated on the programs you have loaded onto your system.

Honored Contributor

I think once a month is fine. How often do you run your antivirus and malware scans? If you do those frequently, you should be fine with doing those checks monthly. 

Esteemed Contributor

My computer guy was just here and told me to get rid of my cookies at least every 3 days or even less.

Honored Contributor

I do a clean up, using CCleaner, probably at least once a week and often more because I also will do it after I've been in my checking account, paying bills, or having made purchases.

I figure it doesn't hurt to clean up things and get rid of cookies particularly after I've logged into personal/financial websites.  Oh, and I also do clean up after there have been updates, especially if there are a bunch of them.  I tend to find there is a lot of debris after a large round of updates.

After the clean up I do a defrag, using Auslogics, each time.

A clean computer will run faster and more efficient, plus you get rid of cookies and such that is left from accessing websites that have your personal or financial information.

I HATE cliches but - better safe than sorry!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

every week along with fixit stick.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Reading this thread makes me glad I have a Mac.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue, I run CCleaner at the end of every day followed by a virus scan; I run Malware bytes once a week.  I defrag after I've run an sfc scan and registry cleanup whether the system thinks it needs defragging or not.

Perhaps all the updates is reason for the registry clutter I've been finding recently.

Honored Contributor

@Marp

sure hope you do not have your uodates set on auto.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut, unfortunately I do.  I have not been able to find a work around to automatic updates in Windows 10.  The only choice I get is delaying a restart if one is needed but the majority of updates do not require that.