Regular Contributor

Having to Constantly Restart

Every time I'm on my laptop for a time (any where from a few minutes to an hour), the thing just spins and won't connect and I have to do a restart.  I have to do several restarts during the time I'm on and it's so annoying. I have Kaspersky and malwarebytes (free version). I clean cache and cookies every day as well as disc clean up.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.        CH

Respected Contributor

Re: Having to Constantly Restart

Does any other device have problems with the internet connection?  If not, I'd get into the device manager, uninstall the wireless adapter, restart the computer and let Windows reinstall it. 

https://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?supportarticleid=2264

Esteemed Contributor

How old is this laptop? How long have you been using your cable/DSL modem and wireless router? These two items run 24//7 and heat ages the parts in these products. Talk to your cable or DSL company.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

How old is this laptop? How long have you been using your cable/DSL modem and wireless router? These two items run 24//7 and heat ages the parts in these products. Talk to your cable or DSL company.

If other devices are having the same problem, then I agree about the router or modem.  If not, it's the laptop. 

Honored Contributor

My house is 23 years old, and I recently had to have wires and connectors replaced out to the cable box on the street........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

I just want to thank glb613, nutmeg3 and desertDi for your replies. I know it's not my router because I replaced it about three months ago and no one else in the family is having any problem. You did give me some ideas to try. Thanks so much.  CH

Respected Contributor

I really think if you uninstall your wireless adapter then reboot or updated your wireless network adapter drivers, your problem will be solved.  If for some reason your wireless adapter is failing, you can buy an external wireless dongle and continue to use your computer. 

wireless dongle