Respected Contributor

HP Chromebook ~ Anyone Own? Need Pros and Cons.....

Contemplating buying one, any pros/cons and information is appreciated.

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Re: HP Chromebook ~ Anyone Own? Need Pros and Cons.....

Google it
Honored Contributor

The pros are that they're inexpensive (generally anyway.) They're safe, no anti-virus or anti-malware needed. They're fast to start up and easy to operate. They're pretty well made and quite reliable. They're available from a variety of vendors.

The cons are that you need Internet access (wifi) to get full use of them. They're limited to Google apps and not "name brand software."

My next computer is almost certainly going to be a Chromebook.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Since it has no USB ports you need a printer with Wifi to print from it.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Regular Contributor

On 3/18/2015 adelle38 said:

Since it has no USB ports you need a printer with Wifi to print from it.

Half right. They do have USB ports. The Acer Chromebook I'm typing on right now has two.

You will need a wi-fi enabled printer to print easily. There is a way to print on a non-Wifi printer if you have another computer in the house that is a non-Chromebook-but you have to "port" the Chromebook through it somehow.

I love mine, it is super fast, light, and simple to use. Great battery life and has Google apps that work with all MS Office programs. A potential negative: It does not work with iTunes. NBD for me but a deal-breaker for some.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/18/2015 gardenman said:

The pros are that they're inexpensive (generally anyway.) They're safe, no anti-virus or anti-malware needed. They're fast to start up and easy to operate. They're pretty well made and quite reliable. They're available from a variety of vendors.

The cons are that you need Internet access (wifi) to get full use of them. They're limited to Google apps and not "name brand software."

My next computer is almost certainly going to be a Chromebook.

I agree with Gardenman.

I will add some more information, though. I have posted with you before, Sunshine Kate, regarding Chromebooks, as my husband has one, and I have helped him with using his.

You cannot load any additional Windows-based software-type programs to it, as it is not a Windows-based computer. You can use Chrome-based applications with it, as it uses a Chromium operating system, and the Chrome browser.

The antivirus program that it uses, is already built into it, so you will not actually "see" any kind of antivirus program running with it, like you would see with a Windows PC, for example.

You can still pick up Adware with it, though, as I have explained before, by way of toolbars and other kinds of extensions. If this accidentally happens, you would then have to go in to the Settings section of the Chrome browser, and then delete the adware that way.

If you just use a computer for basic internet uses, I think that it is a nice way to go. My husband is very happy with his Acer Chromebook. He uses his to check e-mails and watch videos, and surf the internet-those kinds of basic uses.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for the replies. I have been thinking about buying a Chromebook for at least a month and am trying to get as much information to make an informed decision.

A couple of you have answered my posts before and I thank you.

Soon I'll make a decision.

Super Contributor

search it..