Valued Contributor

Has anyone had any luck getting the adds out on hotmail.  They are so annoying and I've read several ways to get them out, some said they worked some said they didn't.  I use Firefox and would like to take them out while on that.  I guess $19.95 a year would take them out but don't think I should pay to get rid of them.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Adblock Plus is part of FF FREE add-ons.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

As annoying as they are, it seems that anyone could  put up with a few ads in order to get free e-mail.  Why do people feel so entitled to use something without paying for it?

Valued Contributor

KYToby,

That wasn't the question. 

Respected Contributor

@kismet wrote:

KYToby,

That wasn't the question. 

It may not be be the question but, sometimes you have to put up with ads to get something free.  I have a Hotmail account and I don't have a bunch of ads.  In fact, I rarely get any junk mail.  What is your idea of an ad?  How often do you update and run security scans?  You may have malware installed instead of a Hotmail problem. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mz iMac@kismet

Adblock works for me.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I have uBlock and am very happy with it (and it's free too).

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Also free for Google Chrome. And it works! No ads!

Valued Contributor

glb613

I never had the ads before either but when hotmail changed they started to come in.  On my hotmail, on the right side, I have about 3 inches in ads on what I've looked at online.  All my emails have them.  It slows my hotmail loading and slows down signing out of hotmail.  This is not junk email that comes in on my computer.  I rarely get that if ever.

I emailed hotmail asking how to get rid of them and they told me that it pays for their free hotmail but if I wanted to opt out it would cost me $19.95 a month.  I do have Comcast and could open an email on that but I've always used hotmail.  I don't care for Gmail.

I have security on my computer.  I have Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Norton.   I run these about every 5 days and use defrag and disk cleanup about the same.   

Respected Contributor

I opened my account, looked at the right side and for the first time, I saw the ads.  I guess I'm so focus on the center of the screen and the mail I have, I didn't give the ads a bit of attention.  I couldn't tell you if it slows down my mail or not. 

Ads are the price of seeing things free online.  It's not going away unless you pay.  Another option, if you are reading your mail on a tablet or phone, try using the mobile app.  The apps are designed with less graphics and it loads faster. 

I have multiple e-mail accounts and would never have only one.  If your account gets hacked or highjacked, you have no way to communicate until you have or create another account.  Many e-mail accounts want a backup or second account for password recovery if you get locked out.  I'd suggest you open a Comcast account and see if you lke it.