Contributor

I am wondering if anyone here has made Gif's before? Specifically from video/DVD's ? I really want to do this and unsure of what's and how's.

If anytone has done this, can you give step by steps. Thanks for any suggestions!

Oh, if you are using Win 10, what software are you using for a DVD media player? Thanks again.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Are you saying you want to make a still photo from some video or DVD footage?

If so, I believe you will need some video editing software to do this. It's been years since I've done this but I seem to recall that I had to load the footage to the computer and pull it into the software. Then there should be an option to capture the frame into a still.

If no one on this board can offer any further advice I'd suggest doing some Internet searching on "video screen capture" "video editing software for Windows 10" or something like those.

Good luck - there are probably more options today then years ago when I did this.

Contributor

Yes, and moving pictures that capture a certain scene. I have been searching but everything is so complicated and was hoping for a little guideance. Thank You for the response though.

Trusted Contributor

@Damitas

Yes, what you want to do is somewhat specialized.

Other options:

Rather than investing in the software and equipment you can check and see if there is a video production service in your area.

Or a community media center that you could join.

Or maybe even a class at the junior college; if you don't want to take the class perhaps you could pay a student to do the work.

Honored Contributor

@Damitas wrote:

I am wondering if anyone here has made Gif's before? Specifically from video/DVD's ? I really want to do this and unsure of what's and how's.

If anytone has done this, can you give step by steps. Thanks for any suggestions!

Oh, if you are using Win 10, what software are you using for a DVD media player? Thanks again.Smiley Happy

@Damitas, I don't know if she's done exactly what you're asking about but there's a poster here who has a lot of experience with graphics and she might have some advice or resources for you -- I'll try a notification for her in case she logs in and sees it:

@raven-blackbird

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

a gif..........is just a file type........you can take about anything and turn it into a .gif file.........but you'll need an animation program to do that...........basically you take a few to quite a few frames (individual images) and stringing them together, in a looping file or a single play gif file.......so you could take a portion of that video file and convert it into a gif file.........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo