Trusted Contributor

Full screen on my new smart tv

I just bought a new Samsung smart tv.  It replaces my beloved Sony bravia

brought it home, had gtandson hook it up.  Beautiful picture and full screen just like on my old one until I tried to look at msnbc and the hallmark channel.  Neither shows a full screen.  

Read read help pages. Ended up calling frontier. Oh they say just set picture settings to 16:9.   I hung up, brought up settings and it is already set at 16:9.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Full screen on my new smart tv

Call Samsung tech support.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Thanks I'll try that tomorrow.         Love your tag line

Honored Contributor

@yock wrote:

I just bought a new Samsung smart tv.  It replaces my beloved Sony bravia

brought it home, had gtandson hook it up.  Beautiful picture and full screen just like on my old one until I tried to look at msnbc and the hallmark channel.  Neither shows a full screen.  

Read read help pages. Ended up calling frontier. Oh they say just set picture settings to 16:9.   I hung up, brought up settings and it is already set at 16:9.   

hi @yock long time no see.

i have a 2015 65" 4k Samsung with the curved screen, and i do know a little bit about video electronics. been using them since the late 1960's, TV/VCR/LASERDISC and the list goes on.

First off, it is not your Samsung TV set. Next, does your cable or satellite company broadcast MSNBC and Hallmark in High Definition? If so, do you subscribe to them? Do you know how to do a "select" of just the channels you want to watch by using the UP/DOWN select button or arrows?

I have Dish Network and those channels are broadcast in both Standard Def and in High Def, and they use the exact same channel number. in my "Favorites" i select the HD version broadcast. 

Samsung also has "settings" within your 16.9 resolution choice. can't remember them all but:  NORMAL/STRETCH/PARTIAL ZOOM and ZOOM. For all HD shows NORMAL would be the best choice, unless you like close-up, where you will lose part of the picture.

Let me know if you need more help. not much i don't know about the new models of Samsung, I did tons of research before i bought mine.  By the way, what is the Model letters and numbers on your new TV? That will tell me the year model, when it was made, and also the features available on it.

Hey Yock, good seeing you again,

john(hckynut)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, John.  Good to see you.  Yes, we have Frontier service and do get both hd and regular programming.  They do have different nos.   that's a good idea to use favorites.    

Merle has a Olivia in his office and he gets full screen on his hd broadcast.   His set is older than my Sony was but I sorta remember choosing wide screen at some time. 

My Grandson stopped by again cause he knew I was gonna mess everything up to get this right.  We all of a sudden realized we have a zoom button right on the frontier remote.  Who knew

i love those curved screens. If I had realized how big the bezel was on my Sony I would have chosen a bigger size for my new one.  I think I might even have been able to use the 55 inch curved.  Oh well I'm ok now. The colors are beautiful.  i loved my Sony but this one is great. Thanks again, John. It was good to talk to you.  

Trusted Contributor

forgot to tell you model 

UN 40kU6300F XZA. Class L

Esteemed Contributor

It's not the tv, it's the way the show is being broadcasted.

Honored Contributor

@yock wrote:

forgot to tell you model 

UN 40kU6300F XZA. Class L

I see this is a 40" flat 2016 model, which is a good thing. Since it is 4k, you should check some 4k content on Netflix or Amazon Prime, if you have either. If you think regular Hi Def looks good, wait till you see a good 4k content video.

Samsung has had very small bezels on their TV sets for several years now, TV is pretty much all picture now. I bought the curved screen because it came with much better specs inside than the flat 65" model. Cost a bit more, but the specs were worth much more than the cost difference. As far as the curve? It ain't all Samsung cracks it up to be.

Let me know if you have any questions with a thread: Hey, old man hckynut.  Take care @yock hope to see you soon,

john(hckynut)

hckynut(john)