Trusted Contributor

Re: Free Avast vs. Free AVG.....or something else?

I should have made it clear that I do have Windows 10.  I had no idea Windows 10 comes with antivirus software.  Can you tell me what it is and if there is a way to make sure I have it?  Thanks!

I've got so much to learn.  My old computer had Windows XP.  lol

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sue98, all Windows 10 computers include Windows Defender. You can enter Windows Defender in the search box on the left side of your taskbar, or just go to www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-defender.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got a new Windows 10 laptop a couple of weeks ago.  It came with a free trial of McAfee which I knew I did not want to use.  Several people I trust to know what they are talking about assured me that Windows Defender should be sufficient.  And that adding something like Malwarebytes should cover all bases.  What I discovered is that as long as you have antivirus software on your laptop (trial or not), you cannot activate Windows Defender (it is grayed out with a message about other antivirus software being in the way).  You have to uninstall the antivirus and then Window Defender can do its job.  Had me a little confused but so far, so good!  Good luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ceekay wrote:

I just got a new Windows 10 laptop a couple of weeks ago.  It came with a free trial of McAfee which I knew I did not want to use.  Several people I trust to know what they are talking about assured me that Windows Defender should be sufficient.  And that adding something like Malwarebytes should cover all bases.  What I discovered is that as long as you have antivirus software on your laptop (trial or not), you cannot activate Windows Defender (it is grayed out with a message about other antivirus software being in the way).  You have to uninstall the antivirus and then Window Defender can do its job.  Had me a little confused but so far, so good!  Good luck. 

@ceekay @Sue98

Window Defender is given to customers to use until they get something better. It is not strong enough to provide great protection. I am not your average user. I get Norton Internet Security from Comcast. It is a complete package. TWC, and Verizon Fios offer their customers McAfee Security Suite.

AVG or Avast are also great programs,when coupled with paid Malwarebytes. I would feel safe online. Here is the But, I like to use a firewall. It let's me know what programs have access to the web.

Security does not have to cost money.