Respected Contributor

Just inquiring if anyone might be able to shed some light on a faxing problem.

My uncle's doctor's office has three times faxed documents to our state department of transportation.  None of which have been received.  The fax number is correct and the doctor's office has a print out of daily faxes showing it transmitted OK.

I have spoken with PA DOT (receiving office) at least five times and they say it has not been received and state their fax machine is operating properly as they receive hundreds of faxes daily.

Now you would think one or the other office would inquire with their IT or phone company what could be causing this issue.  Well no.....its like "oh well".

So out of curiosity I am wondering if anyone here could enlighten me on what type of system issues could possibly be creating this problem.  

Respected Contributor

Techinically I don't know what's wrong but at this point, I would get the document and mail it certified and have someone sign for it.  I recently was faxing document to two boards of nursing multiple times, all saying never received even though, I too, have it as received on my end.  I gave up, mailed it all with delivery confirmation.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy

Thanks for replying.   It is aggrevating,  isn't it?   What gets me the most annoyed is that no one gets there may be a problem with their system and investigate further.  This certainly can't be an isolated incident.

PA Department of Transportation did say that if I have copies of the documents (which I do) that I can scan them and transmit via email which I am going to do. 

Honored Contributor

Tell them to be sure there's paper in the machine!

Honored Contributor

This may not be of any help and I don't want to identify which state I'm in, but when I was working at a government site, I also faxed something to my main office.  It said it was transmitted, but they didn't get it.

I only found out by asking around that, even though the number was "right", if you didn't put the complete number, it didn't get sent.

Example:  Instead of 999-9999, I had to put in the whole number:  (area code) and then 999-9999.  It didn't make any sense to me at all, but it worked.

I assumed you just input the number as you would on a phone, but it was a quirk of the system!  Someone where you are should know the answer.  Don't let them fob you off with "oh well"!  Those faxes are out there in limbo somewhere in cyberspace.

(And it wouldn't be the first time someone picked it up with another fax by mistake and then just trashed it, instead of forwarding it to the correct person.)

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Thanks for replying.   It is aggrevating,  isn't it?   What gets me the most annoyed is that no one gets there may be a problem with their system and investigate further.  This certainly can't be an isolated incident.

PA Department of Transportation did say that if I have copies of the documents (which I do) that I can scan them and transmit via email which I am going to do. 

@Allegheny - So they're putting the solution for the problem on you!  Isn't that precious of them?  I worked in IT for 25 years.  If there was a problem, I made darn sure we got to the bottom of it.  But I also worked with those who just shrugged and walked away.  Smiley Mad

Respected Contributor

@Venezia

Thanks for replying.   This just boggles my mind.  I think the problem may be be originating with the physician's office.  They are using the entire number. Two different employees have faxed it already so I don't think it is human error.  They stated they have faxed such documents to PA Dot in the past and received follow up documents back.  Meanwhile, PA Dot said they receive about 300 documents daily.  

I finally just scanned the documents and e-mailed them as attachments to the unit supervisor.

Respected Contributor

Venezia wrote:

@Allegheny - So they're putting the solution for the problem on you!  Isn't that precious of them?  I worked in IT for 25 years.  If there was a problem, I made darn sure we got to the bottom of it.  But I also worked with those who just shrugged and walked away.

@Venezia  I know...I worked for the Feds for 37 years and many times hours of my day dealt with "putting out fires" resolving and correcting problems no one else wanted to deal with.  Ugh!

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

their fax machine is operating properly as they receive hundreds of faxes daily.

Here's the problem.  With that kind of volume, there is bound to be errors with human beings misplacing documents. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Venezia

Thanks for replying.   This just boggles my mind.  I think the problem may be be originating with the physician's office.  They are using the entire number. Two different employees have faxed it already so I don't think it is human error.  They stated they have faxed such documents to PA Dot in the past and received follow up documents back.  Meanwhile, PA Dot said they receive about 300 documents daily.  

I finally just scanned the documents and e-mailed them as attachments to the unit supervisor.

The trouble is, E-mailed  material is not secure.  I'd hesitate to send anything confidential or financial. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment