Trusted Contributor

A really dumb question.  I installed Windows10 back when it was first offered. Sinc then  I don't have flash, Java and the silly thing keeps saying I am NOT connected to a network.   How is the computer says I have flash and I thought since I was on the computer I had to be connected.

I am not computer literate, even after reading all your forums.  Can someone PLEASE tell me in DUMMY speak what I am missing.   THANK YOU-------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite.....windows 10

[ Edited ]

Hi @tedEbear

I am not using Win 10 as it didn't play nicely with my Win 7 laptop.Woman Surprised

What I can tell you is that Win 10 Edge Browser does not accept plugins (both Java and Flash are plugins).  If you want to use those, you'll need to install another browser; i.e. Explorer 11, Firefox, Chrome, etc.  The Edge Browser doesn't apparently need either plugin.  You can continue with it, if you choose.

As far as your Network connection problem?  It sounds like your Network Adapter driver may need updating to be compatible with Windows 10. 

To do that you would search on Device Manager from the Taskbar. 

Then look for Network Adapters. 

Click on Network Adapter and you should see a list of adapters; i.e. wireless adapter, etc. 

Click on the Wireless Adapter to access the driver tab and ask Win 10 to update it. 

You may come across a yellow exclamation point next to one which will lead you to the problem adapter and make it easier to define.  HTH's  

This was a problem earlier on with Win 10 in some instances according to some articles I've read, so if your drivers aren't the problem, I suggest you sit tight and wait for MS to fix it through updates.  As long as you are getting the connection and are online.  No harm no foul for now.

One of the problems with updating an Operating System from an older OS is that some programs, drivers, etc., may not be compatible.  I hope this helps you along your way so you can enjoy Win 10 and relax with it!Woman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Trusted Contributor

@Gokat----Thank you for your suggestions.  I will have to really look at each thing you have listed.  I couldn't find anything tonight.  Thanks again.  You are always very helpful for eeveryone.  I will check back and let you know.-----tedEbear

Honored Contributor

I would FIRST get the internet situation going, using Gokat's advice.  

Then, install Google Chrome browser.  It comes with its own internal 'flash' type stuff.  You just want to check for updates from time to time, which is really easy to do.  I'll elaborate on that if you have a question if/when you install it.  (just put Google Chrome in the search box and it will come up)

This is so much about the problems some people have had with upgrading their operating system to Win10.  When those computers were built not only are some components possibly not compatible with Win10, but some of the programs that you choose to use may not be compatible.  Then you end up stuck in different ways just to try and do what you're used to doing.

I TOTALLY feel for ya, Ted!  Smiley Happy  Hope things get smoothed out.

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt----How am I able to access this website, if I am NOT connected to the internet?  I am on my PC, not a tablet or phone. I think I am connected because I'm here.  Thanks for your input--------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would follow the steps that Gokat laid out for you in her previous post.  Smiley Happy

Probably the changes corrupted something that needs to be corrected, or it's a compatibility issue created by Win10.  Hopefully, it should be pretty uncomplicated.  Fingers crossed! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi tedEbear Woman Happy

Windows 10 is still "buggy" in the connections area for some users.  There are articles all over the place laying them out for you, if you want to Google "Windows 10 Connection Issues".  

Since you ARE online, obviously there's a problem with the OS recognizing that (or at least communicating that it recognizes it).  I don't believe it's your adapters as you wouldn't be connected here, if they weren't working. 

The articles I've read haven't provided any easy fixes.  It's a software problem within Windows 10...and certainly not anything I would attempt to take you through online.  The gist of most of them is to wait it out until MS comes through with a fix via Updates. 

Sometimes we have to wait for them to sort things out, especially with a fairly new Operating System.  There are many bugs to be worked out. 

You'll need to be patient with this one, but since it's not crippling your system in any way, try to ignore it.  One day, after an update, you'll see that it registers correctly again. HTH'sWoman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Esteemed Contributor

I would install Firefox and Google Chrome.

Honored Contributor

Google Chrome works very well with Win10.  I noticed that my Firefox was inferior to Chrome after loading Win10.