Regular Contributor

I have an old kindle that I'm giving to my brother. There are books on there and I'd like to know once I de-register the kindle will the books stay on there and will he be able to read them once he connects it to his own account. I did try to look on Amazon site for help with this but got lost in there. Any help would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@VirgoGirl as I recall, unless they've changed things, the books will be on there *until* he registers the Kindle as his. At that point they will be "replaced" by the books in his account.

So if he wants to read them, he should not register it as his Kindle until after he's read them or I believe they'll go buh-bye.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor

@MoonchildeMakes sense. I'll tell him if he wants to read anything on there he should before he registers it. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@VirgoGirl as I recall, unless they've changed things, the books will be on there *until* he registers the Kindle as his. At that point they will be "replaced" by the books in his account.

So if he wants to read them, he should not register it as his Kindle until after he's read them or I believe they'll go buh-bye.

Spot on answer! I recently gave one of my old Kindles to a friend and this is exactly what I found when I tested, as well. She's reading the books on there now and will register when she's finished reading the ones that interest her.

Regular Contributor

I knew someone here would know the answer. Thanks to both of you!

Respected Contributor

No. it has to stay registered to you.

When he registers it in his name only his books will show Iup I believe. I am not sure f there is a way to share books.

I love my NOOK Glowlight Plus  but I did upgrade my Kindle to the Voyage and boy is it fast!

Respected Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

No. it has to stay registered to you.

When he registers it in his name only his books will show Iup I believe. I am not sure f there is a way to share books.

I love my NOOK Glowlight Plus  but I did upgrade my Kindle to the Voyage and boy is it fast!

You can share "some" books, but not all.  Usually you can only share the free books or the cheap books.  If you pay much for them, they don't allow you to share.  Every book I've ever tried to share won't allow you to.  So don't count on that option.