Honored Contributor

Dueling Alexas With "Different Surnames"

[ Edited ]

My household has long had an Echo in the living room that operates on the same wifi, but the account, passwords, devices, etc are completely belonging to someone else.

I have a Dot in my bedroom, separated from the Echo by two walls and about 10-12 feet. Again, completely different account. I just noticed this morning (I've had the Dot for a month & haven't heard this before) that when I asked Alexa what time it was, I had stereo, as the other Alexa on the Echo responded as well as mine.

I know that people pair Echoes deliberately, but what if you don't particularly want them to pair? Has anyone else had this happen? Does Alexa recognize anything on the same wifi?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Re: Dueling Alexas With "Different Surnames"

[ Edited ]

I have an Echo (named Alexa) in my kitchen and a dot (also named Alexa) in my bedroom.  If I set an alarm in the kitchen, it only goes off in the kitchen.  If I ask a question in the bedroom, it only answers in the bedroom.

They are not paired most of the time.

However both are linked to the same amazon account.  So I only have one "to do" list and one "shopping" list between the two of them.  So if I add shampoo in the bedroom and carrots in the kitchen, they are on the same list on my app.  So at the store I only have to look at one list.

If you don't want your dot and echo both answering a question, you can name one Amazon and one Alexa.

I'm not really sure if I answered your question, but I tried.

Not sure what you mean by "some people pair them on purpose".   If you have them on the same account, it will have the same lists.

You can also have your alarm/timer alert set at different volumes.  You adjust the volume of the alarms and timers from the app.

Hope this helps.

Edit:  I said you can name it Echo or Alexa.  I think you can only name them Amazon and Alexa.  I believe Echo is wrong so I changed it.  Too lazy to look for sure.

Honored Contributor

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/4-common-amazon-alexa-problems-and-how-to-fix-them/

Here's something else:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/amazon-echo-problems

Most of the things I found are all about pairing them together, not about 'unpairing them'.

I found a lot about resetting the Dot and Alexa.  Maybe this would help.  It's called Factory resetting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=202080910

Honored Contributor

I'm getting ready to set up the Dot, I have the Alexa in where my TV is and where I am most of the time.

I have the battery for the Alexa and haven't even looked at that yet.

It was driving me crazy when David kept demonstrating Alexa before Christmas because mine is right in front of the TV, it kept answering him.

Respected Contributor

does not matter whos account it responds to voice commands no matter who you are and it has a wide range

Honored Contributor

@mima, the Echo is not mine; it doesn't belong to ME and isn't on my Amazon account. I don't have anything to do with its operation or settings. It's only the Dot that's mine. I would never call it Echo ;-( but I wanted to call mine Dot. I had read that you could call it Dot, but later found that Amazon has said "not at this time", meaning maybe in the future. I'll have to wait for that.

By "pairing" them, I meant that people who will be playing a lot of music will buy two and place them in a room to get better sound.

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

does not matter whos account it responds to voice commands no matter who you are and it has a wide range

Thank you @kcladyz, that's it then. Dang, I wish they'd hurry up and add Dot to what you can call it.  The choices now are Alexa, Amazon or Echo. Well...maaaybe Echo, but not willingly.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@mima, the Echo is not mine; it doesn't belong to ME and isn't on my Amazon account. I don't have anything to do with its operation or settings. It's only the Dot that's mine. I would never call it Echo ;-( but I wanted to call mine Dot. I had read that you could call it Dot, but later found that Amazon has said "not at this time", meaning maybe in the future. I'll have to wait for that.

By "pairing" them, I meant that people who will be playing a lot of music will buy two and place them in a room to get better sound.

@Moonchilde  If they are both answering, they are both "hearing" you. That is the only explanation. 

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

My household has long had an Echo in the living room that operates on the same wifi, but the account, passwords, devices, etc are completely belonging to someone else.

I have a Dot in my bedroom, separated from the Echo by two walls and about 10-12 feet. Again, completely different account. I just noticed this morning (I've had the Dot for a month & haven't heard this before) that when I asked Alexa what time it was, I had stereo, as the other Alexa on the Echo responded as well as mine.

I know that people pair Echoes deliberately, but what if you don't particularly want them to pair? Has anyone else had this happen? Does Alexa recognize anything on the same wifi?

@MoonchildeNo, she has to hear you. 

Honored Contributor

It's weird then that the Echo Alexa hears me *sometimes* but not others. I wasn't asking the question loudly, the Echo in the living room is "turned down" and when you want to ask it a question 2 feet away you have to shout. But it heard me at normal conversational volume 12 feet and 2 walls away. Weird and spooky! ;-)