Esteemed Contributor

Does your tablet have protective software?

Is it necessary  to put anti-virus software on a Kindle and, if so, which one do you use?  How much storage do they use up?

Respected Contributor

Re: Does your tablet have protective software?

I several Kindle Fires and I don't have any  anti-virus on mine.  The oldest one is several years old.  No problems yet.

Esteemed Contributor

I did not put any protective software on my fire as of yet ...[I just ordered it] I have macaffy on my other devices. [I pads, Aser tablet] I do have a protective password on it for now. 

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Is it necessary  to put anti-virus software on a Kindle and, if so, which one do you use?  How much storage do they use up?

there are forums on amazon, did you look over there

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO, if you surf the internet, you need an anti-virus program on Android devices.  And a Kindle is a quasi Android tablet.  I have a paid Norton subscription and have it on my Android phone, my Amazon Fire 7", and my two Android tablets.  Opinions differ on whether an anti-virus in needed on Apple products.  I have a Macbook Pro and an iPad Mini 4, and the authorized Apple retailer where I bought them doesn't think it's necessary.

ETA:  At least put a free anti-virus program/app on your devices.  They are not as "complete" as a paid version, but they are better than nothing.  And if they are free, what do you have to lose?  If you don't like the one you choose, you can always uninstall it and install a different one.

Trusted Contributor

so glad you asked this.... i just got an amazon fire tablet, i was wondering the same thing, i asked a computer tech at work and he said definetely get security.. so i did my homework & just installed an app. i looked on amazon and read the reviews on them, i figured i would need it, i shop on line, check my emails etc.. there are good free ones, just google it to see..

Respected Contributor

honestly i do no thtink you need one on a tablet but my desktop antivirus allows me to protect my tablets also but there are free programs like avg 

Honored Contributor

It's not a bad idea, on an Android device. Check the Amazon app store for reviews and install one through them. I've never had anything on my iPads or iPhone. Android devices are supposed to be very vulnerable, in part because you can get Android apps from third party sources.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the free part of Norton Security NortonMobile on my Android tablets. This app scans the tablet at startup, and when each app update.

I have a Samsung tablet purchased about 6 months ago. Samsung has been giving out security updates once a month for this device. This is the correct schedule for this device.

You should check Amazon's App Store for your device, and read the customer reviews. You will find an app.

Esteemed Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

honestly i do no thtink you need one on a tablet but my desktop antivirus allows me to protect my tablets also but there are free programs like avg 

Good morning...Did I read you correctly? Are you saying your desktop that has virus protection protects you tablet that does not have it? How does that work?Woman Surprised