Respected Contributor

Do we have any electricians on here?

I spilled a drink on my ceiling fan remote control and nothing worked to get the fan back on which I really need.

Electricians are booked for three weeks around here.

There is a sensor in the ceiling fan that works with the remote control and it recharged after I dried out the remote and I thought a miracle had happened.

But when I went to change speeds it did but now is stuck on the high speed and won't change.

If I turned the light switch off the fan will probably not come back on at all and I need it but not on high all the time.

Do I need a electrician to change the sensor and the remote or try and change the battery which may or may not work.

Any suggestions? I hate to wait 3 weeks for this... 

Respected Contributor

Re: Do we have any electricians on here?

First take out the batteries and try to dry out the chamber. Cool setting hair dryer. You can try unscrewing the remote to have the cover off, if it has a cover and screws to let the device dry out--blow some cool air on it (cool setting of hair dryer, not hot.)

Most remotes dont have screws holding them together but if you see any screws remove them before prying the back off. Next... you will want to separate the pieces onto your workspace. usually you will have 4 parts... the BACK.... the FRONT...the rubbery buttons panel... and the CIRCUIT BOARD. Dry it off as best you can with a paper towel. Be especially sure to gently wipe off the rubber buttons contacts and the circuit boards contacts where the buttons make contact. Sit all the pieces on the table and use your hair-dryer to dry all the parts.  When it is dry, just re-assemble and replace the battery. 

Honored Contributor

Who manufactured the ceiling fan? If you're sure the problem is the remote and note the fan, you may be able to simply buy a new remote control. They sell remotes at most hardware/lighting stores, so I would contact the fan manufacturer and see if a universal remote will work or if you need to get a manufacturer specific remote. Ask for a model number or recommendation and see what's available in your area or what can be shipped to you quickly. 

Honored Contributor

@Campion wrote:

First take out the batteries and try to dry out the chamber. Cool setting hair dryer. You can try unscrewing the remote to have the cover off, if it has a cover and screws to let the device dry out--blow some cool air on it (cool setting of hair dryer, not hot.)

Most remotes dont have screws holding them together but if you see any screws remove them before prying the back off. Next... you will want to separate the pieces onto your workspace. usually you will have 4 parts... the BACK.... the FRONT...the rubbery buttons panel... and the CIRCUIT BOARD. Dry it off as best you can with a paper towel. Be especially sure to gently wipe off the rubber buttons contacts and the circuit boards contacts where the buttons make contact. Sit all the pieces on the table and use your hair-dryer to dry all the parts.  When it is dry, just re-assemble and replace the battery. 

This is the perfect solution. We live in a very humid part fo the country and remotes/handheld games tend to get moisture inside of them and need a quick cleanup during the summer months. Most modern remotes simply snap together, so a little probing around the seam between the top and bottom of the remote with a fine screwdriver or thin knifeblade will likely let you gently pry the two halves apart if there is no other obvious way of the two halves being secured. Once the two halves are separated, drying everything and then reassembling it should solve the problem.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I did all that the first time and dried everything out. It's a Hunter remote very small. The blue light came on the next day and I think it recharged. Great except when I switched speeds it stays on one speed. I don't want to take the battery out again because it may not come on at all this time.

With the remote fan there is a sensor in the fan itself and it comes with the remote. Package deal, but I hate to buy one if that's not the problem. I would still have to pay someone to put the new sensor in the ceiling fan itself.

If I can get someone to buy me a battery I might try that except I am back to whether the fan will work or not.

It's a big deal to me because I am in bed all the time and I need lots of air in here.

I hate to pay a service guy to install just a sensor in the ceiling fan but I may have to. I had a long talk with the man at Home Depot and he told me all about the different sensors. A universal remote would work but still need the sensor in the fan itself. I have probably confused everyone now...

Esteemed Contributor

Best thing to dry it out would be to put it in a small sandwich bag with about a cup of dry rice.

Before touchscreen phones, a co-worker spilled their cup of coffee on my flip cell phone. After I dried what I could with a paper towel, a lady suggested the rice trick. My phone wouldn't work, so I had nothing to lose. I left it in the bag a couple of hours and..... IT WORKED again.

Give it a try ...might work

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH is an electrical engineer. He said to tell you to try to take out the battery and dry it off then let it sit open about 8 hours to air dry. put it back together and try it. If it still doesn't work you will need to buy a new remote from the manufacturer. That all fans like this have a manual control on them somewhere, to get out the owners manual and find out how to manually control it, which will probably require a ladder.

Trusted Contributor

Hunter is a big company.  Surely they have a replacement remote control you can buy.  Imagine how many people out there LOSE them?  Buying one is going to be way cheaper than paying someone for a service call AND the repair.