Trusted Contributor

Do laptop computers still come with recovery discs?

If not, does anyone know how someone would set their laptops back to factory default?  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do laptop computers still come with recovery discs?

@newjersey wrote:

If not, does anyone know how someone would set their laptops back to factory default?  Thank you.

Since very few have DVD players included, the answer is no to discs.  Now you do have the option to make a recovery USB stick and there is usually a recovery partition located on the hard drive.  With my last HP computer, there was a utility found under all programs called recovery I could open and do a variety of things.  Check the the manufacturer for details. 

Honored Contributor

I've never had a computer with a recovery disc.

If you have Windows 10, this should help you: http://www.alphr.com/software/6997/how-to-factory-reset-windows-10-here-s-how-to-give-your-laptop-or...

If not, you'll have to search based on your own OS and computer type.

Honored Contributor

It's been quite a while.   I just make my own.  It's easy and takes very little time.   I've been doing them on a flash drive lately.  That might not be the best advice, as the flash drive could die, but I have quite a few of them and none have died yet.  I take good care of them, though.   I don't put them on a key ring or any of that where they get battered around.   They are in cases.  Smiley Happy

But if that's not an appealing choice, just snag some DVDs.  I've never had a laptop that didn't have a DVD player since DVDs became widespread.

Honored Contributor

I got mine at Best Buy.  I just bring it back and the Geek Squad fixes everything.  It's woth the cost!  Never have any worries ... and they back up my data before resetting.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

It's been quite a while.   I just make my own.  It's easy and takes very little time.   I've been doing them on a flash drive lately.  That might not be the best advice, as the flash drive could die, but I have quite a few of them and none have died yet.  I take good care of them, though.   I don't put them on a key ring or any of that where they get battered around.   They are in cases.  Smiley Happy

But if that's not an appealing choice, just snag some DVDs.  I've never had a laptop that didn't have a DVD player since DVDs became widespread.

That's not the case today. 

Honored Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

@newjersey

On a Mac, you can do so thru OS Recovery. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

All my HP computers came with recovery discs. And they are only about two years old now. I never ordered a computer  that did not come without a recovery disc.  And we have had many computers [all different brands through  the years.]

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the replies.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it links to other retailers.