Valued Contributor

Do I really need a digital adapter from Time Warner?

Well, Time Warner's at it again--making it difficult to view certain channels. Previously, they decided to move channels to a different tier (to get more money, of course). This time, they've chosen a number of channels that can't be viewed unless you get a digital adapter from them. Fortunately, there are really only two channels I'd like to be able to continue to see--WGN and LMN--but I can live without them. Right now, they're letting you get the adapters free, as well as the first year's rental, but from what I've read about these adapters, they're poor quality. I really don't want another box to find a place for or another remote.

What I'm particularly confused about is why I should even need an adapter since we have digital TVs with QAM tuners. When we first got a letter about this, I called and was told that, as long as we had digital TVs, we would still be able to see these channels without any problem. Turns out that's not the case. I called back last night to get an explanation, but the guy really couldn't help me. Would anyone out there be able to explain this to me please? Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Re: Do I really need a digital adapter from Time Warner?

If your TV isn't connected to a cable box you need it. Just call the Toll Free number and request a free one but come next June you will be charge a small fee of $3.25 for each device you order. Can't really answer your questions, sorry.

Respected Contributor

We went through the same thing with Comcast and had to get the digital adapters.  My husband wanted to be able to see all the channels.  

Same thing is happening now in our Fla. condo with Brighthouse cable.  They are removing several channels that were previously available without any cable box or adapter.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I needed it when I had TWC ..... I now have Dish and am very happy with that.    Maybe it's time to call a few cable providers and see what deals they have going.

Respected Contributor

TWC has done that here, too. We don't have the digital package (and don't intend to get it lol) so we don't need the box, adapter, etc. They removed Travel, Tru, and a couple of others I can't remember so I guess that says it all. DH and I got an indoor antenna for ONE of our TVs, and it pulls in "the big three" plus about 40 other stations including QVC and HSN (I didn't even know they broadcast over the air). We're loving the "Antenna TV" station, too. We're sick of paying for channels we don't watch, taxes, "broadcast fees," etc.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonlady wrote:
TWC has done that here, too. We don't have the digital package (and don't intend to get it lol) so we don't need the box, adapter, etc. They removed Travel, Tru, and a couple of others I can't remember so I guess that says it all. DH and I got an indoor antenna for ONE of our TVs, and it pulls in "the big three" plus about 40 other stations including QVC and HSN (I didn't even know they broadcast over the air). We're loving the "Antenna TV" station, too. We're sick of paying for channels we don't watch, taxes, "broadcast fees," etc.

Yep, went thru it here with Cox.  The FCC is requiring the cable companies to move out of the analogue lane to free up space.  At least that is what they led me to understand.  I had a digital TV that was pulling in the on air local digital channels in HD over the cable that plugged directly into my HD tv, but the rest of the basic level package was analogue.  The little mini box was free for a year and then it was going to be 3 bucks added to my bill.  Well, the little box took my digital hd signal back to analogue.  This Cox guy argued with me that I could not have been receiving those channels in HD over the cable.  How stupid was that?  Now, If i wanted HD i was going to have to pay even more.  That was it.  They wanted to charge extra for what is being broadcast over the air for free!  So i cancelled my cable!  Already had a little external antenna.  Plugged it in.  I get all of the major networks, and a bunch of other channels including PBS, QVC, HSN for free.  40 odd channels.  All of the major channels are HD. And it is free.  

Anything that I was watching on cable in the way of series i now purchase as I want to watch them and stream over my Verizon DSL connection which is $26 a month.  Pay as you go.  Way less expensive than that monthly cable bill.  Each of the cable channels that have hosted debates have streamed them for free.  The only channel i have missed is CNN, but then i decided that the over saturated disasters and bad news coverage was not something I needed!  Cable companies are shooting themselves in the foot with these big bills!  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was just browsing through postings in the "electronics" forum and was shocked to see responses to this old one from three years ago. I had actually forgotten all about it. Although I appreciate seeing answers to it now, there's really no need to do so. Back when I posted this, I went ahead and got just one adapter and hooked it up using a splitter. That way, I was able (and still am) to continue to use my direct connection (from the wall through my DVR and to the TV) or switch to the box when I wanted to watch a channel only available that way. 

In about a month, TWC will finally be going all-digital here, which means all the channels will be scrambled. Will have to hook up all the TVs then with boxes. Not happy about it, but no matter which company you go with--cable or satellite--you have to go that route now. All you can do is shop around for the best prices. I have made a lot of calls the last two weeks to different companies comparing prices and, for now, will stay with Time Warner. At the end of my current "deal," I will call around again. Am quite willing to say goodbye to them and go with whichever company has the best offer, or if no good offers, try using an antenna and subscribing to Hulu and Netflix.

Regular Contributor

Here's  a tip if you install it yourself or have a tech make sure when you put the volume up it's loud. When I did it after the tech left it was barely audible so I called them and they rebooted the adapter and it was a little louder but not the way I wanted it.  When they tried to correct it it knocked the signal off the tv and now we have to wait for the tech again.  Also check to make sure your remotes are good, the one they gave us is no good and doesn't do what it's supposed to do and we need a new one. For me it's been nothing but a headache since we got it.

Respected Contributor

Now TWC has a new scheme--no more simply plugging the cable directly into your TV (the way THEY set it up over 30 years ago). Two of our TVs have that (for the third, as I posted above, we have an indoor antenna). Every TV will require something extra (to be rented or purchased, of course). They're starting in the NYC area, and when we get the letter, we're dropping it.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper wrote:

Well, Time Warner's at it again--making it difficult to view certain channels. Previously, they decided to move channels to a different tier (to get more money, of course). This time, they've chosen a number of channels that can't be viewed unless you get a digital adapter from them. Fortunately, there are really only two channels I'd like to be able to continue to see--WGN and LMN--but I can live without them. Right now, they're letting you get the adapters free, as well as the first year's rental, but from what I've read about these adapters, they're poor quality. I really don't want another box to find a place for or another remote.

What I'm particularly confused about is why I should even need an adapter since we have digital TVs with QAM tuners. When we first got a letter about this, I called and was told that, as long as we had digital TVs, we would still be able to see these channels without any problem. Turns out that's not the case. I called back last night to get an explanation, but the guy really couldn't help me. Would anyone out there be able to explain this to me please? Thanks!

My guess is the signal for some of the channels you mentioned are now digitally scrambled. Digital and QAM tuners do not mean much.

You probably need their receiver to unscramble(decode) their new digital frequency to view those channels. All cable and satellite companies are playing the same game. Pulling certain popular channels and moving them to a higher priced tier? That's their game and they seem to be holding all the cards.

I think all of them are in fear of the Streaming format and plug-ins such as Roku changing all or most viewing technology. Kinda following technology like: 8 track tapes/cassette tapes/laser discs/ Beta VCR/VHS VCR/S-VHS/720p HD/1080p HD and now 4k.

Same with audio technology. When I bought my first car there was no such thing as FM radio or True 2 channel stereo. I put in multiple speakers/rheostats and reverberators to simulate stereo and many other synthesized audio sounds.

Then came true 2 channel FM stereo radio. Next came both the discrete and quadraphonic true 4 channel music, which now is labeled as Surround Sound. Technology will keep advancing and someone has to foot the exploration bills. That would be us consumers, most of whom could't care less.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)