Respected Contributor

What is the safest way to dispose of old tracfones?  I have 2 older models and I don't use them anymore.  Should I take the batteries out and recycle at electonics recycling?

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be deemed political.

Honored Contributor

You are right to be cautious.  They can be wiped clean of information.  I saw where a famous person used something called bleachbit:

https://www.bleachbit.org/

Trusted Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I personally think the best way to "dispose" of them is to put them in a drawer in your house and forget about them. Other options are just too risky.

Honored Contributor

Best buy will take them and recycle.  Go to the customer service desk

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the Best Buy's sign but I am still too cautious and scared to do this.  I only wish I could be assured that the informaton would be destroyed and I would be safe.  

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Then there is the hammer method!   

Seriously -  For an old cell phone I disassembled it - and threw it away in pieces and parts.  Didn't put the entire unit in one bag but threw out sections over time.  I don't trust recycling centers either but have donated to our soldiers in the past.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Then there is the hammer method!   

Seriously -  For an old cell phone I disassembled it - and threw it away in pieces and parts.  Didn't put the entire unit in one bag but threw out sections over time.  I don't trust recycling centers either but have donated to our soldiers in the past.

Do you have any idea how toxic some electronic parts are?  What you're doing is terrible.  At least recycle what you disassemble.  Geesh.