Respected Contributor

Re: Dell Laptop or HP from the other channel

I just pulled up the other channel's HP. It is only 4GB of RAM and 1TB of hard drive. It is the RAM that makes your computer really run. You can find other 12GB ram computers but they start around $900 and go from there for a 15", not the 17" I have. This Dell DEAL is really the DEAL of this year and next.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tigriss

This is the STEAL of the year!  I look at computers all the time;  like most women shop for food ... or clothes .. or shoes.  LOL!  I SHOP computers!  U can't beat this TSV!  As soon as I saw it, I had to do a double-take.  Too good 2 B true!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

I just pulled up the other channel's HP. It is only 4GB of RAM and 1TB of hard drive. It is the RAM that makes your computer really run. You can find other 12GB ram computers but they start around $900 and go from there for a 15", not the 17" I have. This Dell DEAL is really the DEAL of this year and next.
Respected Contributor

Sorry for the multiple posts, the QVC kept blanking out with server busy. They must really be busy today!
Honored Contributor

Haven't seen the one on hsn, as I don't shop there, but I looked at the Dell one here and I was stopped in my tracks when I saw 2.2ghz AMD processor.  

Like others have said, I'd pass either way.    I think they tend to just go over and over the price without consideration for the fact that you'll pay more for less.    My most recent laptop is from a couple of months ago and I paid less, directly from the manufacturer, for WAY more features, including an Intel i7 processor, which is way superior to that AMD processor they keep selling at Intel prices here and on other shopping networks.

But, then, people usually come here to ask and they've already decided so I guess it's FWIW.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

AMD processors were developed by gamers. Today the processors for home computers are pretty much the same except for those built to gaming specs. The processor is only limited by the RAM. The more RAM you have the quicker the processor/traffic can flow, much like the many lanes of the interstate. The more lanes, the faster the traffic can flow from one car to 100K. I've got this computer up and running right now because I ordered last week. It is very fast at handling my crafting software, running the internet and streaming music all at the same time. I multi task even if I'm just surfing the internet with many pages open at one time, like our forums.
Respected Contributor

OH, Chickenbutt, check how much RAM you have. I bet it is 6GB at best. RAM really costs and adds to the cost of the computer quickly. This is 12GB of RAM. I compared other vendors and makers of computers looking for 12GB of RAM and processor speed to find the computers cost around $900 plus for a refurbed unit on up to several thousand dollars for gaming PCs with the same processor and RAM. SOme complain about not having a Blue Ray DVD writer, but how many people play Blue Ray to sit at a computer and watch them? The software package differs based on what contracts each company has with each other. I always remove most of that stuff I don't use anyway and add what I do use.

I also like that this laptop is expandable RAM up to 16GB. One of the two computers I replaced with this was only 8GB expandable, which I did, but it still couldn't process due to the much older, 6 year old processor, even with the increased RAM, though is was light-years faster than it was. My old Dell is the old form of RAM that is through the roof expensive now that it is no longer made, so I switched to my cheap Acer from WM for my daily tasks on the internet and the like, but even with the RAM, it was just too old to multitask as I want. I'm very happy with the speed, layout and features of my new Dell.
Remember, computers are like cars and bottoms, everyone has their preferences and they are all different.
Respected Contributor

The only thing slowing my down now, is my local DSL, which is only 1MB/sec per the phone company with my service up to 3MB/sec because I was grandfathered in under an old service plan. This is rural Georgia. They are my only choice other than Hughesnet Satellite service, but that really does bit when the many storms we have roll in and block the signal, plus it is costly. Oh to live where there are faster connections....the things I could do then.
Trusted Contributor

Have only 4 gb of ram and your computer will choke with Windows 10. It takes that much just to run the operating system. 12gb is awesome.

For everday use, the AMD A8 is a good processor. Intel is just as good. I would be looking at the RAM, and 12gb wins for me. The processors are competitors, and the A8 is as fast as Intel Core i5.

I only have 4gb of ram for my Window 7, and it chokes all the time. Web pages are very heavy with graphics nowadays, so lots of memory is chewed up just keeping the page going, never mind having enough for you to be browsing through it at the same time.

Respected Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
I've got this computer up and running right now because I ordered last week. It is very fast at handling my crafting software, running the internet and streaming music all at the same time. I multi task even if I'm just surfing the internet with many pages open at one time, like our forums.

I knew it would be F-A-S-T-!  I just knew it!  Smiley LOL

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."