Not applicable

Re: Dell 15.6"" Laptop AMD A8 Quad Core 8GB RAM 1TB HD with MS Ofc

On 1/29/2014 Goldi77 said:

I ordered this Dell, and got the 17 inch, without MSOffice, as I already had the Office Suite Professional version 7. I'm a power user. Not a computer programmer, but I use my PC a LOT, doing a lot of different things....scanning, photo-shopping, writing, photo, phoning, and I have at least 40 programs on my current Toshiba.

I got the Dell because it was promoted as Quad-core, AMD, and had 1TB of memory, and 8 Gigs of RAM. That "SOUNDS" good. The problem is the processor. AMD is a good brand and I've always preferred them to Intel. However, these are OLD chips, slow chips at only 1.7 MHZ. They must have gotten a deal and were dumping them into this unit. My 18 month old Toshiba has 2.5 MHz. These Chips are equivalent to the I-3 from Intel, and I believe Intel has gone from I-3, to I-5 last year, and now is selling I-7s. Old slow chips in any machine don't work well.

To explain in better terms... Consider my Toshiba a Ford Mustang. A gamer PC would be Ford Shelby Mustang. The DELL is equivalent to 2 Fortwos. You might have more of them...but they just can't go very fast. They just don't cut it.

I tried to work on a photograph and the machine locked up when I opened the software they provided. Nothing else was running. I restored it to start up condition, and returned it.

These PCs are only good as boat anchors.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Actually, each generation of intel chips, sandy bridge, ivy bridge and the new Haswell have all three, I3, I5 and I7. Please make sure you know your business before giving advice. The I5 starts at 1.7ghz, so this chip is equivalent to an I5, low end. It is all in the generation of the processor. So the A8 is equivalent to the Intel Ivy Bridge with the A10 being an equivalent to the Haswell. The processor speed is 1.7 and can be overclocked. If you have software that locked up on this laptop, it has nothing to do with the processor or the ram. I run games on an AMD 1.0ghz and have never had it freeze up. Most likely the issue was the software or the hard drive. It could have easily been the software.

Not applicable

I have the 17" 8GB ram, 1TB hdd, with the AMD 5545 Processor. Had to have the keyboard replaced by Dell as the numberlock key didn't work nor did the numberpad out of the box(Piece of Junk). I am a heavy User and have found out the Windows 8.1 has a Product key in the Bios which is non-readable and people are having problems re-installing Windows 8 or 8.1 because there is NO WINDOWS 8 OR 8.1 COA sticker on the bottom of the pc. Even Dell feeds me a line on this. I thought this would be a nice laptop but now I can see it will have a short life. I will make sure my wife is sure of this and DOES NOT PURCHASE ANY Computers from QVC in the future.

oh 5400 rpm drives are slow as the standard drive is 7200RPM

Not applicable

I was wondering if this was made for QVC and not up to normal Dell standards. I believe I will be sending it back which is a pain since I have loaded my software. This thing comes packed with a ton of JUNK. Trials, ads, on and on. The anitvirus package arrived almost 2 weeks after the laptop. Figured I'd be OK since McAfee trial was installed. Lo and behold it had to be activated first...ugg. After a few days I installed TrendMicro from a liscense I had since included one wasn't here yet. I scanned and cleaned computer but I still had a ton of popup and adware.

I called support, dropped 2 times then waited 20 min. They direct to a website but I already tried that and got an invalid certficate message. Send a call request and said up to 2 hrs. Got a call back within 10 min (thinking it was good) from a local tech. Cleared all mys browser settings and sent me back to website. Online ran several adware type programs and said good to go....this all took 3 hours!!!!

Excited to go and first thing I click another window opens with spam!!! Same problem, every click opens garbage.

Plus very slow. With these specs it should scream!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/5/2014 Jevans said:

I was wondering if this was made for QVC and not up to normal Dell standards. I believe I will be sending it back which is a pain since I have loaded my software. This thing comes packed with a ton of JUNK. Trials, ads, on and on. The anitvirus package arrived almost 2 weeks after the laptop. Figured I'd be OK since McAfee trial was installed. Lo and behold it had to be activated first...ugg. After a few days I installed TrendMicro from a liscense I had since included one wasn't here yet. I scanned and cleaned computer but I still had a ton of popup and adware.

I called support, dropped 2 times then waited 20 min. They direct to a website but I already tried that and got an invalid certficate message. Send a call request and said up to 2 hrs. Got a call back within 10 min (thinking it was good) from a local tech. Cleared all mys browser settings and sent me back to website. Online ran several adware type programs and said good to go....this all took 3 hours!!!!

Excited to go and first thing I click another window opens with spam!!! Same problem, every click opens garbage.

Plus very slow. With these specs it should scream!

Dell, HP, and Toshiba sell computers made for business customers. They do not have any junk ware, or bloatware.