Honored Contributor

I have three dvd players, all the same brand, bought the same day.  I recently bought several new dvds.  Some of these will only play on one of the three dvd players, and some will play on all three.  Does anyone know why this is?

Respected Contributor

Are you talking about DVD or BluRay?  If BluRay, the software might need to be updated. 

Sorry, you obviously said DVD, just checking. We sometimes use the term interchangeably.

Honored Contributor

Some dvd players have regional coding and will only play dvds that are encoded to that region.

Honored Contributor

Maybe the drive needs cleaning.  Cleaning discs can be purchased from any store that sells discs (CD & DVD)

I have a 5 disc DVD player.  I clean my drive every 6 months since I use it every day.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: DVD Player Question

[ Edited ]

@brewhaha wrote:

Some dvd players have regional coding and will only play dvds that are encoded to that region.

@brewhaha  Yes, I know, but they play in my region, just not on all of the machines and the machines are all the same as I mentioned.

Valued Contributor

I have had this issue with dvds from every source I've purchased them from, recently.  Amazon, ebay, individual sites, PBS, BBC...doesn't seem to matter, I still have issues with a disc skipping or not reading right, and having to stop the player & use a cleaner & meticulously get all fingerprints off of the discs, etc.  Do make note of whether it is BluRay v.s. strictly a dvd-only, because that will make a difference & we tend to forget that, when we aren't used to dealing with dvds on a daily basis.  Good luck!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

@SerenityNowMyndi wrote:

I have had this issue with dvds from every source I've purchased them from, recently.  Amazon, ebay, individual sites, PBS, BBC...doesn't seem to matter, I still have issues with a disc skipping or not reading right, and having to stop the player & use a cleaner & meticulously get all fingerprints off of the discs, etc.  Do make note of whether it is BluRay v.s. strictly a dvd-only, because that will make a difference & we tend to forget that, when we aren't used to dealing with dvds on a daily basis.  Good luck!

@Serenity-Now  Thank you.  I don't buy BluRay, and I deal with dvds almost daily. Smiley Happy, but on the whole, I have no problems, just once in a while with new dvds.  I almost returned a very large set of a series to a seller due to this, but then decided to try a few on another machine in another room, and they worked.  It is so annpying because I want all dvds to work on all machines, especially when they are the same brand purchased at the same time.

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl, thanks for the heads-up about different dvd players making a difference...I never realized that.  We only use a PS3 player for our BluRays & regular DVDs.  I'm going to make a mental note of your tip, so we don't throw away dvds that won't work, thinking they are duds.  Thanks!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

I have three dvd players, all the same brand, bought the same day.  I recently bought several new dvds.  Some of these will only play on one of the three dvd players, and some will play on all three.  Does anyone know why this is?

It could be the players are not all updated to the latest firmware and/or software available.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

It could be the players are not all updated to the latest firmware and/or software available.

hckynut(john)

@hckynutjohn  The question/point is that if the dvds play on a machine in one room, the exact same machine as the other two in different rooms, why won't they play on all of the machines?