• Computer Type: Laptop
  • Graphic Card: AMD Radeon R7 M445
  • Hard Drive Size: 2 TB
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Optical Drive: DVD-RW
  • Processor: Intel Core i7
  • RAM Included: 16 GB
  • Screen Size: 17.3 in.

I am not happy with this video card or This Dell computer. I found a HP I like better.

Respected Contributor

It looks like a nice computer. I have to ask, do you really need that much power?  If you do a lot of heavy duty photo/video editing or gaming, it's a must.  Most people can get buy with less for less money.  Just a thought. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DEVICE MANAGER

[ Edited ]

This is another laptop from Costco an HP. The hard drive is smaller, but faster. The video card GPU is better quality.

Processor & Memory:

• Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor at 2.7GHz
    • 16GB DDR3 (2-DIMM) RAM

Drives:

• 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    • SuperMulti DVD Burner

Operating System:

• Microsoft® Windows 10

Communications:

• Intel® Wireless-AC WLAN + Bluetooth®
    • HP TrueVision HD Webcam + Integrated Digital Microphones

Graphics & Video:

• 17.3" WLED-backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Display
    • 4GB NVIDIA GeForce 940MX Graphics

Audio:

• Bang & Olufsen Audio Processing

Keyboard:

• Backlit Keyboard

Ports:

• 2x USB 3.0
    • 1x USB 2.0
    • 1x HDMI
    • 1xRJ-45 (LAN)
    • 1x Media Card Reader
    • 1x Combination Headphone-Out/ Microphone-In Jack

Power Supply:

• 4-Cell (Up to 7-hours 15-minutes) Battery

Additional Information:

• Dimensions: 16.48"W x 11.28"D x 1.12"H
  • Weight (Approximately):  6.92lbs
  • Brand: HP
  • Computer Screen Type: Non-Touchscreen
  • Computer Type: Laptop
  • Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
  • Hard Drive Size: 1 TB
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Optical Drive: DVD-RW
  • Processor: Intel Core i7
  • RAM Included: 16 GB
  • Screen Size: 17.3 in.
Valued Contributor

I never thought about an HP.  My daughter had two of them a few years ago and had nothing but trouble with them.  She now has a Mac as does my granddaughter.  I do like that the HP has a 4 cell battery.  I'll see if that one is in the store.  I've had my Dell since 2007 and have been happy with it but it did cost $1,300.  Since you recommended this HP is this one you have?  I assume it's the Envy listed on sale.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The hardware in this box looks good. I found these two computers at Costco.com. I found the Inspiron at Dell.com, and HP.com.

Product # W0Q29AV_1

• Windows 10 Home 64
  • Intel® Core™ i7-7500U (2.7 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 2 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® 940MX (2GB DDR3 dedicated) (For HDD)
  • 12GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8GB and 1x4GB)
  • 17.3" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA WLED-backlit edge-to-edge glass (1920 x 1080) Touchscreen
  • 1TB 7200 rpm SATA
  • Office Software Trial
  • Security Software Trial
  • 3-cell 41 WHr Lithium-ion Battery
  • SuperMulti DVD burner
  • Full-size island-style backlit keyboard
  • HP TrueVision HD IR Camera with Dual Digital Microphone
  • Intel® 802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo

I brought an Alienware laptop in August from Dell.com on sale. My computer has a video card in the same family as the HP Envy.

The HP has a smaller hard drive and 12GB for the basic price. You can add 4 GB of RAM for $50.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure what the video card does.  I use the computer to search, shop, download pictures and emails.  The only time I watch shows on the computer is when I get them at the library.  I'll see if Costco has the HP in the store.  Thanks for mentioning it. You said the HP is faster, do you mean in loading pages?    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kismet wrote:

I'm not sure what the video card does.  I use the computer to search, shop, download pictures and emails.  The only time I watch shows on the computer is when I get them at the library.  I'll see if Costco has the HP in the store.  Thanks for mentioning it. You said the HP is faster, do you mean in loading pages?    

Yes in loading pages.  This is the  Item #1109379 for the HP Envy computer. It is a new product at a great price at Costco.

Respected Contributor

I'm reading that you're well on the way to a new laptop, @kismet , but in the meantime...

I've had a like issue with my wireless network adapter over the time I've had Windows 7 and found that it is a problem that does occur for others as well.  The WNA just drops out of the registry sometimes and doesn't load...disappears from Device Manager.  This occurs often after a Windows Update where the registry sometimes is changed. 

What I have found is that if I shut down the laptop 2 or 3 times the WNA will reappear.  I unplug the charger before rebooting. HTH"sWoman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Valued Contributor

I can try doing what you said.  I didn't pull out the adapter before rebooting the other day.  Have been busy checking out reviews on a new computer.  I know it's a Dell or HP but that's it.  Would like to see both in the store but so far they are not in the store.  It was easier buying one years ago.  Still have my desktop with I think it's Windows 2000 but not sure, haven't used it in years.  My daughter said I was the only one with such an old computer for her to copy things on it.  It must have to do with video of the kids.  Still worked when I got my laptop.  I think all my problems started with Firefox 49.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been checking out a lot of computers online and reviews and customer service by the companies and I've come to a conclusion. I want the HP but find that the CS is not what I could depend on.  I want the Dell because I have a Dell desktop and a Dell laptop and when I did have a problem with the desktop, husband did something to it, I called Dell they took over the computer several times and fixed it.  Never had a problem after that as long I banned him from the computer.  He had a computer from work he could use.  I don't know enough about computers to not have CS I can depend on.  Guess if I got both that would solve the problem.  The one I'm using now still works fine so I will have a backup.  I did get my current Dell at Costco and it's from 2007.  Probably will go with the Dell for the CS.

I did go on Dell and built a computer similar to the one I was thinking of getting and it cost more to build it.  Couldn't get the 4 cell battery either, just the 3 cell.  No 2nd year warranty either.