Valued Contributor

I'm getting updates from Dell and just got an update from AMD on my computer.  It does ask if I want the updates but to be honest I don't really know if I need them.  I never got them on my other computer.  These are not Windows updates which go in themselves.  I read that I can go into Dell and stop the updates.  Would it be better to update when I get a notice or to turn that off and just go into Dell and check for updates. AMD is for gaming and I don't do games so do I really need it.  Hesitant to put something in that may mess up my computer.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not do driver updates from Dell. I use my original drivers.

Respected Contributor

What are the updates?  Are you sure they're from Dell?  Are they security updates for the Operating System?

I get periodic update notices from Apple for Operating System updates, printer driver updates, etc.  They're on the APP Store, so I download from there.  I ALWAYS download and update my Operating System to make sure that security is maintained and to fix any flaws or bugs.

I'd suggest you check the Dell website to make sure the messages you receive are "real".

Respected Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I'm getting updates from Dell and just got an update from AMD on my computer.  It does ask if I want the updates but to be honest I don't really know if I need them.  I never got them on my other computer.  These are not Windows updates which go in themselves.  I read that I can go into Dell and stop the updates.  Would it be better to update when I get a notice or to turn that off and just go into Dell and check for updates. AMD is for gaming and I don't do games so do I really need it.  Hesitant to put something in that may mess up my computer.

They are driver/hardware updates.  Unlike others, I do update drivers especially if I'm having a problem or a program/game needs it.  If you aren't tech savvy and don't know how to undo an update, don't. 

Valued Contributor

I suppose if I went on the Dell Update page directly it would say I would need the updates.  A notice has been coming up for several days and I just say remind me later.  It doesn't go away it just keeps coming up.  I get a box that comes up and says General Software update too and it doesn't say from who.  Don't like putting anything in if I don't understand it.

I was hesitant to get a new computer because of being so familiar with my old one but I find windows 10 pretty good.  I don't use Edge I use firefox and set it up the way I want it.  Edge says that Firefox uses more power and the battery will drain faster but that isn't important to me.  Said my hotmail would be more secure too.  I do miss Word and am going to sign up for that. 

Changing all my passwords and then taking the old one in to be looked at.  Price will determine if I will fix it.  I find that the RCA android that I got can do a lot of what the computer can do.  Having a problem putting the office suite pro download in that for free so will have to call the company that provides it. 

I've never taken out an update and have to always do a search to see how to do things.  Was thinking of getting a book on Windows 10 to see what it has to offer and how to do certain things.  

Respected Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I suppose if I went on the Dell Update page directly it would say I would need the updates.  A notice has been coming up for several days and I just say remind me later.  It doesn't go away it just keeps coming up.  I get a box that comes up and says General Software update too and it doesn't say from who.  Don't like putting anything in if I don't understand it.

I was hesitant to get a new computer because of being so familiar with my old one but I find windows 10 pretty good.  I don't use Edge I use firefox and set it up the way I want it.  Edge says that Firefox uses more power and the battery will drain faster but that isn't important to me.  Said my hotmail would be more secure too.  I do miss Word and am going to sign up for that. 

Changing all my passwords and then taking the old one in to be looked at.  Price will determine if I will fix it.  I find that the RCA android that I got can do a lot of what the computer can do.  Having a problem putting the office suite pro download in that for free so will have to call the company that provides it. 

I've never taken out an update and have to always do a search to see how to do things.  Was thinking of getting a book on Windows 10 to see what it has to offer and how to do certain things.  

I've done plenty of hardware updates over the years and not a single thing went wrong.  If it was my computer, I'd update but I'm sure most people posting on this board would disagree. If you decide to not update, see if there is a way to stop the notifications.