Honored Contributor

Can someone please tell me under what function on "settings" on a tablet does one find the option to erase cookies?  I have both an iPad2 and a SamsungS2 that need this and I can't find a place to do it on either.  I realize they probably have some techie language they use.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I have an older ipad. I go into settings then scroll down to safari on the left.Then scroll down on the right to clear history and website data. Then hit clear. I do this on my iphone too.  I don't know anything about samsung. HTH

Honored Contributor

Got it, thanks!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Clearing Cookies

[ Edited ]

On my chromebook - android device - I go under settings and hit privacy - then clear browsing data.

On my android phone I go into settings - storage and from there you can see various choices to clear. Be careful - if you clear cached data you will take all your apps back to the brand new state - wiping clean things like your calender or your contacts.

Honored Contributor

Be aware of what cookies you delete.  Some hold your passwords & screen name(s).

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I don't store names or passwords so this is not a concern for me. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

Be aware of what cookies you delete.  Some hold your passwords & screen name(s).

The passwords and login info are stored elsewhere (how it's done varies depending upon your device, OS, and browser), so clearing cache and cookies won't affect those.  (Just as an example, when Safari asks if you want to save login info on the iPad and you agree, it's then stored permanantly -- you can go to Settings/Safari/Passwords to see the login info that's been saved.)   I delete all cache/cookies/website data on my iPad, iPhone, and Mac (for both Firefox and Chrome) at least once a day, and none of my saved login info is affected.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KLm wrote:

I have an older ipad. I go into settings then scroll down to safari on the left.Then scroll down on the right to clear history and website data. Then hit clear. I do this on my iphone too.  I don't know anything about samsung. HTH

This is great advice!   However, this single step won't always clear all cookies and website data.   To be sure all of it is removed, either:

1 -- Close all apps running in background first and then tap the Settings/Safari/Clear History and Website Data

OR

2 -- Leave apps running in background, then tap Settings/Safari/Clear History and Website Data,

then tap Advanced/Website Data, and tap "Remove All Website Data."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

On my chromebook - android device - I go under settings and hit privacy - then clear browsing data.

On my android phone I go into settings - storage and from there you can see various choices to clear. Be careful - if you clear cached data you will take all your apps back to the brand new state - wiping clean things like your calender or your contacts.

Deleting cache or cookies doesn't affect data stored by mobile apps.   At least not on an iPhone or an iPad.   I'd be interested to know if Android devices have some sort of difference, but I'd be surprised.   Cache and cookies, by definition, are temporary storage -- always open to be removed -- and normally don't affect anything considered to be more permanently saved.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

I am also on a Mac but use FF as my main browser.  In it's Preferences>Privacy>History>Exceptions or Show Cookies.  Is what I use to "control" cookies.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif